Wednesday, November 23, 2011

SHEEP!!!!!!!

November 22, 2011 (email)

GUESS WHAT!!!! WE HELPED BUTCHER A SHEEP!!!! It was AMAZING and TERRIBLE at the same time!

We went to do service at a member's home, went around back to chop wood, and TADA!! All of their extended family was there butchering. But it gets better: all of their extended family are less-actives and investigator families that we are working with!!!! We didn't even know they were related! Sis. Kesler got all into holding the innards. Gross. I didn't want to, but by the end I had held everything, poked the bucket of blood, watched them squeeze the poop from the intestine, and got blood splattered on me!

I thought we could sneak off, but no. We got roped into making Achee'ee. Its a terrible thing! Strands of fat, wrapped in INTESTINE!!! HORRIBLE!!! Then they made us eat it! I had vowed when I got to Shiprock that I would never touch the stuff. That worked well, because I not only touched it, but I made it, and then ate it. But it gets worse. I ate it from the bloody fingertips of the sister who had cleaned out the sheep and squeezed the poop out! It's AMAZING that I didn't die from food poisoning. I didn't even burp up the nasty taste. It was bad. You chew and chew and chew and chew and chew and chew and nothing happens, so you have to "SWALLOW IT WHOLE!!" (That quote was for you Ashlee and Charli.) Then we had all the other parts of the sheep. Plus fry bread, which I made by myself!!! Perfect circles! And I made dumpling stew: ripped up dough tossed in the boiling water that is cooking chunks of meat.

But is that the end of the crazy things they fed us?!? NOOOOO!!!!! They cut off the head, burn the hair off on the grill, and then wrap it in tin foil and they cook it for a few hours. Then they split the head open and fed us the TONGUE! BRAINS! and EYEBALL!!!! I ate them allllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe myself. The tongue was the best part of the whole sheep. The eye was like a fried egg with an olive sliver. And the brains were like hot rice pudding (in texture) they start out solid in your mouth, but then disintegrates into nothing. UGH! But they all taste like a barnyard. Ugh ugh ugh. We just laughed and giggled through the whole thing. I didn't have my camera, but they did. They printed off the photos yesterday and I will send them in the mail next week.

I attached a photo of me and Sis. Kesler. I really like it. You can tell how large of a girl she is. She towers over me and all the people here. They ALWAYS comment on how tall she is.


I also put a picture of me and Jay. He is probably one of the reasons I was sent to Shiprock. He lives out in Red Valley, so we only see him once a week, and it kills me. He is a less-active and he is amazing. He's an artist and he is making a custom Navajo pot for me. I'm so excited.


Then there is a picture of one of the elder's creations. The ward set up all the tables and chairs for a thanksgiving dinner, but we needed to move them for our YSA basketball. The elders got creative and TADA and Rameumptom (or however you spell it.)

WE had a miracle on Sunday! THEY OPENED THE OVERFLOW FOR THE CHAPEL!!!! For the second week in a row we had over 170 people!! (Instead of only 110.) AMAZING!!! Let's keep it up.

I hope this was a slightly more interesting letter, my last few have been sad and short. I have a challenge for you all this Thanksgiving week. Get a big piece of paper, and fill it completely with all the blessings in your life. Be specific and think. For example, at the top of my list would be my family and the gospel and specific blessings from following commandments. But right beneath that is toilet paper, bag balm, and stretchy clothing. Please do it. One last request, please have family prayer kneeling down every night: with family members or roommates. Please.

I love you!!!
Love, Sis. Wilkins

No comments: