Sunday, July 21, 2013

More of the Aligning....

So, here is the First Miracle of The Aligning:

Jay lives outside Shiprock in the tiny/miniscule community of Mitten Rock. I was sent to Shiprock to find him. He was baptized as a child, and then his family stopped coming to church, and he lost contact with the Elders who baptized him. He is a sweet man. A little rough on the edges, but a wonderfully devoted man. He is an artist, and I have found joy in his paintings and pottery for 2 years now. (YUP. 2 Years. Its been about 3 weeks shy of the day I met Jay)

We connected on a deep spiritual level, and when I got transferred out of Shiprock, I promised to keep in contact. I did the best I could as a missionary, but I wasn't the most speedy or consistent. To my everlasting shame, he lost faith in my friendship, and when I got home, he wrote a letter saying good bye forever.

I was devastated. I didn't know what to do.

Then I saw his art at the Shiprock Flea Market. And there he was. And there I was, standing there in blue jeans and sandals in front of his stand. It took him a long time to register it was me standing in front of him.

 I won't share all the details, because it was a very tender and private moment...but he had been hurt, and I probably didn't deserve his forgiveness....and somehow this man had his heart softened and we were able to reconnect.

He forgave me.

And we were able to actually give proper good byes (aka: I finally got to hug him)

No comments: