Monday, August 22, 2011

Shiprock never gets rain... not!! (email)







August 22, 2011
Hi everyone! So this last week was really great and really terrible at the same time.
It has been miserably hot, but we have our lovely truck to keep us cool. We rarely go tracting because we have lots of appointments and it takes forever to drive there. We go from cool car to warmer houses and back to the cold car. nice. ...until we realized we were short on miles for the month, and started walking everywhere. less work got done, we looked horendous from the heat, and it was back breaking with a 20 lb bag.
we had 2 really productive days, and had 2 people commit to baptism (which is a big deal because in the last 6 months there have only been 2 baptisms). we currently have 6 people with dates set! its absolutely amazing. ...but...Sis. Tsosie and I may be letting it get to our heads because we had some really unproductive days. and we skipped companionship study to do service. service is good, but heavenly father definitely let us know he wanted us studying. we changed things around and life is looking up now.
I feel more confident with my teaching and ability to listen to the spirit. Sis. Ts is surprised how bold I already am. She is courageous with the things she says, and she thought it would take me a while, but I jumped in feet first. Yesterday we went to visit an investigator and got to her door at the exact same moment as some other crazy missionaries. They just wanted to bible bash and it was miserable. We felt as if the spirit was being sucked from our beings. You know what a fish looks like trying to breath out of water...that was us, gasping for the spirit. I was able to keep calm, ignore the desire to haul off and hit them, and calmly dismissed them. Sis. Ts was really impressed. Woot. 2 spirit points for me.
As for the subject line, we were told it NEVER rains in shiprock. if it does, it is just a sprinkle. We walked to the store and saw a "sand storm" coming and were thankful to go inside. when we came out we thought we missed it. nope. we got out of the parking lot and started home. oh, its only a couple drops and a couple blocks. nope. down pour and 1 whole mile of mud. did we have arms to hold everything? nope. so we walked in the rain, for a mile home (this was also one of the days we didn't study long enough, so we got the picture pretty quickly)
I included pictures from the MTC. Katy andrews always told me about her family "surfing" on the ironing board and I couldn't resist. Then sis. Laneir and her new shirt (we liked the secret identity). Me and sis. Lanier (she went to atlanta. she was my best friend there). My last photo with sis. kost. our district with my favorite teacher. our messy back seat from the truck (yes that is an ax...we chop wood for people). then of me soaked and a mess from our rain disaster. you should put these up on the blog.
love you lots!!!

No comments: