Monday, June 18, 2012

Tan Arms and Fire Arms

Monday, June 18, 2012 (email)

No, I have not had someone point a gun at me. Nor have I touched one since being on a mission...but I'm getting tired of random people telling us we should have them. We were tracting the other day, and these two older men were telling us to carry them because we were short single women. Oh bah humbug!!! Sisters have served in this area for YEARS!!! It is safe. We are fine. Sister Patrick was raised in the inner city: which means she knows gangs and their tags...so if she see's anything to worry about, then we leave. I have pepper spray that a member gave me in Shiprock....we are fine. I wish people would stop telling us how helpless we are. WE HAVE THE SPIRIT WITH US FOR HEAVENS' SAKES!!!!!!! He will tell us to leave if we are in danger. ugha moogah.

This last week was FANTASTIC!! I got the letters and gifts from everyone Monday afternoon..perfect timing for a Tuesday birthday. Thank you for all the love and care. You helped remind me that there are people who care for me and keep me in their prayers. On my birthday, members took us out to dinner...not knowing it was my big day. They took us to a 50's diner, called The Blue Moon Diner. They must have been inspired...holy cow it was perfect for me!! Plus the members invited another member friend from the ward...These two women had been friends for over 30 years, and listening to them talk and tell stories and laugh, was like listening to dad and his siblings tell stories. I was totally comfortable with them, and I had to hold my sides to try to keep the laughter pain down. There was one point where they were talking about a California road trip where I nearly died. One of them HATES driving...and complained the entire trip. She said, "Just bringing it up the memory makes my BOTTOM PUCKER!" bottom pucker?!?!?!?! oohhh....of course that would send me into a tizzy of laughter!!! LOVE IT!!!!

We were able to meet our number/teaching goals this week, and it felt FANTASTIC!!!! Plus, all of our hours in the sun has resulted in a nice tan...OK so maybe it is normal "winter skin" for most of you...but for me it is AWESOME!!! And my hair is really lightening up (I was kinda surprised about that one.)

This last week at district meeting we had a Testimony Meeting. The district leader didn't know why he was prompted to have one....but we all knew afterwards. That was one of the most powerful meetings I have been to. I didn't realize how many missionaries were struggling, and how we would all be able to help one another. It was amazing.

Happy Father's Day everyone! Dad, I didn't forget, there is a letter in the mail now...I just couldn't get it in the box in time. Sorry...but you are not forgotten.

Today we went to the mission office and we met up with lots of other missionaries waiting for the mail to come in...yah, I know, how typical.. :) While there, Elder Wise and his companion for Crown Point came in. They have been having car trouble...and are stuck in Farmington for a couple hours. Holy COW it was fun to talk to him again...and remember all of the fun experiences we had in Shiprock. Wow. I haven't talked so fast or laughed so much since I left Shiprock. IT felt FANTASTIC!!! And Sister Patrick was excited to see me so happy. I have been trying to mellow out and become more "refined" or "grown up" and I think it was making her worried. She seemed to think something was wrong with me...but seeing me, as my normal overly bubbly self made her feel much better.

Oh, another cool thing from today...we went to the biggest and nicest trading post in town today, Fifth Generation....and bought some trinkets....BUT the BIG surprise was that we got 70% off!!!! WHAT?!?!??!?!?!? Oh man, we are going back more now. Done deal. We felt like we were stealing when we left the store. !!! Oye!!!

Well, I love you lots! This coming week we have a mini zone conference and interviews with President Jones (because he goes home next week) and we also have a going away party for him on Saturday night.

Love you!
Sister Wilkins

P.S. here are some photos...

 doing laundry when the dryer was being used by the family we live with...


  the best sign combo ever...

and us pulling weeds in too hot of weather


No comments: