Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Farmington Fun!!

June 4, 2012 (email)

HELLLOOOOO!!!!!!

Oh, I have not been this happy in MONTHS!!!!! This is going to be a fantastic experience!!! I have never been so excited for a transfer!

Sister Patrick and I are going to translate this area! We can totally feel it! WE are white washing this area: Farmington 4th ward. It's on the south east corner of Farmington, headed out toward Bloomfield. Our numbers for this week were dismal: but that is because we spent the entire time figuring out the maps (because we got lost so often), meeting everyone (because the past sisters didn't pass on the information so well), and reorganizing the area book (because it was a mess.)

We met TONS AND TONS of people, but no one was available to teach them at the moment, so we set up handfuls of appointments for this week. Hallelujah! We hardly ever have a moment where we think "what should we do now?" IT is so great to have tons of things to do!! It's been a long time since I actually had a large teaching pool.

WE go to church at the Apache Building, which is where the mission office is. It is a really cool old building that has been around for a while. It seems to have had a million add-ons over the years. The coolest part about the chapel it that there is a GIANT stained glass window right behind the pulpit of the Savior in Gethsemane. It is a great way to center your thoughts during the sacrament. The weirdest part of going to church there is the connection with transfers and the stress of it all. There is a room in the back corner, where president meets with all of the trainers and new missionaries right before he assigns you a companion. IT is a stressful room. Everyone remembers that moment when you walk in, scared out of your mind about starting your missionary journey, and then sitting there...waiting for the moment...heart pounding...spirit jumping....hands sweating. And then there are similar memories from when someone has to enter that room to be a trainer. Why did I go down crazy memory lane about the room? Because that is where we have gospel principles class...so we are there every week...which means I need to get my emotions in check. When I walked in yesterday...my pulse quickened and I started to sweat....IT WAS JUST A STUPID REACTION TO THE ROOM...just like Pavlov's dogs.

I did have a couple awesome moments this week:
1) We went to the Apache building during the week to drop off some stuff at the mission office, and there was a woman there trying to get into the Family History Center. I saw her get out of the car, and recognized her as Sister Pinto from Shiprock. The Elders found her, she was less active, and they helped her change her life around. Instead of using her Book of Mormon to hold DVDs, she started reading it...and it changed her life. She started coming to church. Her son started passing the sacrament, and they both started being involved in everything! I never worked with her really, but I knew who she was and always said hello and had simple conversation. When I walked past her, she said, "HEY! Didn't you serve in Shiprock?" "Yes, how are you doing Sister Pinto?" "I'm doing really well! I'm here to do my family history so I can take them to the temple when I go!!" She was so excited, and I was so excited for her. Even though I hadn't worked with her specifically, it was nice to see someone who's life had been changed by the gospel and they were continuing on the path. It was really rewarding.

2) I got to meet and shake hands with a  GENERAL AUTHORITY! WOOTTTT!!!!! Elder Tad Callister of the Presidency of the Seventy came and toured our mission for the week. He was accompanied by Elder Reen, an Area Seventy.  IT had been a long time since a general authority had been to the mission, so President wanted to make sure that EVERYONE got to meet him and to hear his words. We had a fireside at the Stake center buy the Farmington College. (I'm giving more details on the buildings than normal, because I know dad will get on Google and look up the satellite images) There were 4 zones there...which is a TON of missionaries...and they asked Sister Patrick to play the piano...so the two of us picked the songs. Lord, I Would Follow Thee and Let the Holy Spirit Guide. Elder Reen spoke on interpreting and listening to the spirit. Elder Callister was a very involved and commanding speaker. I was totally enthralled the entire time. He spoke of being a consecrated missionary and giving your everything to the Lord. I was SO excited because that was something I have really been trying to do: I want to totally lose myself...and I've been making changes so that I can let the Lord take complete control. I was so excited when he suggested doing certain things to help yourself progress....and I had already done those things of my own accord! WAHOO. Yay me. I think my favorite part was when he said that changing your behavior doesn't do much...because when you go home, your actions will go back to what they were before. What you need to do is change your nature. OK. I want to do that. I think I had that goal from the beginning, but I had too much pride and not wanting to lose who I was or my spunkiness. But now I feel that I have prepared myself for the change, and I look forward to letting Heavenly Father change me into who HE needs me to be....not who I think I should be.

Oh, I am ready to just fly! I feel like I'm finally starting to be a "real" missionary. and missionary brain is totally set in. I can recognize when and what distracts me...and I realize that I don't enjoy the worldly stuff any more. When I first came out, hearing a radio in a bed room was comforting because it connected me to the outside world. Now, hearing a TV or radio or the news just stresses me out and I can feel my comfort levels drop. It's kind of exciting to see the changes. (And these are just the ones I recognize! What else is there that I can't see?)

Sister Patrick and I are SOOOOO excited to be together again!! Our relationship is 10 times better. We understand each other now. we have new understanding of missionary work, and we are both ready to take off. We totally adore one another, despite our difference...we actually really appreciate the differences. We have FANTASTIC companion study time, and we stay up late talking in bed. My pondering improves whenever I am with her. I am so excited to take this journey with her. (Man, have I said "excited" enough times?)

Love you lots!
Sister  Melinda Wilkins

Oh, and now that I am in Farmington, I can attach all kinds of photos!!! WOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

 There is one of me and Sister Jepson in Cortez,

 Me and Sister Kesler and Sister Patrick at transfers,


Me holding a snake head!!! (Yes, a snake head!! I was about to pee my pants,)



and the most beautiful place I have ever been (the Mancos State Park hike a few weeks ago,)

 
 and Sharla and Alex in Cortez.


No comments: