Monday, July 9, 2012

Rain, Rain, Come Again...No Seriously...Come More Often!!!

Monday, July 9, 2012 (email)

Hello Hello! Well, the rest of the west might be burning, but in Farmington, we almost washed out yesterday. We have had rain (at least a little bit) everyday this last week, and it has been incredible. The temperature drops every time, and we get a relaxing moment every evening. Last night it rained and rained and rained. We came home for the night and sat in the car to listen to it pelt the roof. Sister Patrick got a funny look on her face, and I could totally read her mind. I counted down from 3 and we flung ourselves from the truck. We spent a couple minutes just puddle jumping and enjoying the thrill of water (being in the desert this long will make you go a little loopy.)


So, I hope everyone had a great 4th of July. Ours was kinda "somehow." (That's the word the Navajo people use when they don't have any other way to describe a situation.) We had a ward party first thing in the morning, and it was really fun. We were able to help a recent convert family join in and feel a part of the ward. Then there was a dessert auction afterwords to raise money for Girls' Camp. WAY FUN!!!!!! They were just plates of cookies, cakes, pies, and fudge, but some of the items went for $50-$60!!! Holy Cow! We were really worried what we were going to do for the rest of the day because everyone would be celebrating with family, and wouldn't want us around. We stopped in at the mission office (which was across the street from the ward party) to get some info and ran into the 2 secretaries. These senior missionaries are my new best friend. This last week we got the new Mission President (President Batt) and in one week 2 of the office couples had huge health problems, so the only people running the entire office were 2 senior couple missionaries (they are just the secretaries normally, but they were having to run the entire show this week.) Anyways, with all this drama, they needed all the help they could get, so we were able to do service for them in the office. They were about ready to lose it when we got there, but by the time we left, they were so calm and good to go. We were so tickled with ourselves.

There is also a photo I sent of the high school field. They had 800 flags set up on the foot ball field, and it was really quite stunning. especially when the wind would blow. So cool!




On Wednesday night we were required to be in by 9 pm sharp...so most of the missionaries were ticked because they wouldn't be able to see any fireworks....BUT.......we happen to live directly under where the fireworks are set off. Whoopie!!!! We thought we were so lucky....until the rain started. But we refused to let that slow us down. We came home, changed our clothes, and then sat in the back of our truck, in the rain, and watched them anyways. We were slightly soggy by the end, but we enjoyed ourselves.


On Saturday we pulled weeds at a family's house...we were there for 3 hours and were only able to get the 4ft by 40ft side yard done. So...you can guess how many weeds there were....OODLES AND OODLES!!!

Saturday was also a big day because it was transfer news. We were not expecting any changes. Wrong. About 12:30 I got a call from President Batt. It went something like this: "Sister Wilkins, this is President Batt. I have a special assignment for you. There is a sister who is REALLY struggling. She has a great desire to serve and to be a missionary........but she doesn't understand social norms. This might be the hardest thing you have done yet...actually this WILL be the hardest assignment you will ever have on your mission. She is really tough to be around, and needs lots of help. But we will not leave you alone; there are lots of sisters around that you can go on exchanges with often. we will not let you falter: you can call Sister Batt or myself directly at any time. Please remind me later that this is ONLY a 6 week assignment."

OYE! Way to make me nervous. My new companion is Sister Rowley...the greenie from Gallup that I went on exchanges with a few weeks ago.....Which means that was a trial run to see if I could handle her. Oye. So, I will need all the prayers I can get. I will let you know how it goes.. I will try not to complain....but there may be some negativity. I have to admit, I did cry when I retold Sister Patrick the news, but that was it. I refuse to cry anymore. Now I am at peace. now I know I can do it. IT will be yucky, but it will change me, and help me become better. ahhhhhhhh....that was a sigh...or the sign of me faking my calmness :)

I love you all! I hope you have a wonderful week.

Oh, and we just found out that transfers have been postponed from tomorrow to Wednesday...because the greenies are stuck in Denver. Bummer. Not fun...so I have one more day with Sister Patrick. Yay!

Love, Sister Wilkins

No comments: