Sunday, March 3, 2013

Muay Thai Fights

Last night I went to an event that I have been planning since Blanding. One of the members there owns a little fighting gym, Prevail Gym. His name is Anthony Ford, and he is a professional fighter...and a convert...and he invited the Elders to train with him in the mornings for exercise. When the sisters came to town, we were invited too. Many of you will remember some of my mission letters talking about how intense of a training program we were on.

The first week we were training with Bro. Ford, he mentioned how excited he was, because he signed a contract for a HUGE world title fight coming up soon. I asked when it was.

"March 2."

"MARCH 2?!?!?!? I will be home then! I could watch it if they broadcast it!"

"It is going to be in Salt Lake-"

"I LIVE IN PROVO!!!!"

...and a dream was born.

Last night I took my mom and dad to the Muay Thai Institute in Salt Lake City to a night of fights. The whole thing got even cooler about 2 weeks before I came home from Blanding, because I found out that one of the Less Active men we were working with, would also be competing in the fight night. WAHOO!

Jermaine Tisi was the second to last fight, with Bro. Ford as the final fight of the night. It started at 6pm, and Jermaine didn't fight until 9:40pm. Oye. Jermaine's fight was close. It was a good match and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. In the end, Jermaine won by ONE point! WHHAAAA!!!!! and the crowd goes wild. What blows my mind is that one year ago, Jermaine was in the hospital battling liver failure...and now he has a state title! cool

When Bro. Ford comes out, he has the HUGE entourage. There is a guy playing the bag pipes and Bro Ford is kinda strutting/prancing in with pink shorts and pink ankle guards (mostly they look like an athletic version of compression socks from the hospital). He had TONS of Thai ceremonial stuff all over his body.

He gets up there and starts this Huge, dramatic, flowery routine. He's praying in all four directions, and dancing and prancing around. To be honest, he looked STUPID! Really dumb. My dad just raised his eyebrows and asked, scoffing, "Are you serious?" And even I was questioning why I was there if it was just going to be a silly show.

The kid he fought did not look experienced or even athletic. The kid was squishy! Roundness....NO edges. They start and I can tell Bro. Ford is feeling the kid out. Instead of three, 2 min rounds, this fight was five, 3 min rounds.

The kid comes out swinging. Not too speedy, but solid. He got Bro Ford a couple times...but Bro Ford just make faces at him like, "Seriously? Is that it?" Then during Bro Ford's prance/jump, the kid hits him square in the face and Bro Ford went down right on his bum.

WHAT? THE GROUND BRO FORD? SERIOUSLY? Are you doing this for show or did YOU get too cocky?

He jumps up and bounces some more. He throws a couple good hits and gets some in return. Then before anyone realizes, Bro Ford kicks the kid in the head. It looked and sounded like just a tap on the cheek, but the guy staggered back and looked kinda dazed. The crowd erupted and got on their feet.

WOOT! This fight is finally going somewhere. Now we don't have to watch an act. They can just fight like everyone else!

The kid throws a couple wild and big hits. They don't really make contact...

And then if you weren't watching, you missed it. Bro Ford kick him in the head again...but this time you heard the WHACK! ...AND THE KID HIT THE MAT!!!! WHAM! OUT!!! COLD!!! it took them 5 minutes to wake him up! and that was it! Match over. knock out with a foot, 2 minutes into the FIRST round! No action. Nothing. BAM! over.

So, that was my night. cool.


No comments: