Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Tender Mercies

Maybe you have noticed, maybe you haven't....but I have been struggling with some serious elements of life recently. I try to fake being happy all the time, because I have this silly mental complex where I feel like I need to be miss peppy for everyone ALL the time. HA! So not possible. But this silly brain of mine tries anyways.

This week I started reading the Book of Mormon again, and it has sent a flood of mission memories: reading with companions, studying with investigators, and powerful revelations received.

I remember 2 similar instances. I remembered studying 1 Nephi 1 with Sister Maynez and Sister Isaacson....in both instances, they were both struck by a comparison I made to Nephi's life. Nephi opens his first chapter with life is tough, but the Lord has blessed me. He closes the chapter with life is tough, but the Lord blesses me.

1 Nephi 1:20 - "...But Behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

I have been thinking extensively about tender mercies. The natural man wants to wallow in self pity, but the celestial element within me wants me to look for blessings, mercies, and things to be thankful for.

Most of the time, the natural man has won.

I keep putting up walls and refusing to see the good, because I want to mope....

...which is a stupid idea. I don't recommend it.

Today I could not fight it any longer.

Why?

I got 2 sandwiches.



Sandwiches? What?

Yup.
2 Sandwiches changed me.
I can't ignore all of the blessings in front of my face anymore because of 2 sandwiches.

The blessings have been EVERYWHERE...but I have been a stinker and have refused to acknowledge them.

Today I bought a single sandwich from the vending machine before class....the coils twisted one rotation, but it didn't fall. After years of experience, I know the BYU machines have sensors that tell the mechanism to twist again....

It twisted twice....and 2 sandwiches fell.

2.

1 for FREE!

Blessing.
Tender Mercy.
Slap upside the head.

I get it.
"There are blessings in your life. Knock off the moping! That's stupid! I am still here for you! I never stopped watching out for you! You don't see it now, but this is all a blessing. Trust me you silly girl. I am still here. Open your eyes, and you will see my hand in everything."

My eyes are open.

1 comment:

Mads said...

That is awesome Melinda! But you're so right...the tender mercies in our lives don't have to be extravagant things. They can be the smallest of things, but they just let us know that He is aware of us. He loves us and cares about how we're doing. I love the comparison!