Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hello from the MTC (email)

Hello everyone! I can't believe it has been a whole week. The days all seem to mesh into one, except I've had a couple clothing changes. Two minutes after I stepped out of the car on Wednesday I ran into my first friend. Mike came out from his teaching shift and said hello. That was a nice transition between the old life and missionary life. It is still tough tuning out memories and old activities. I'm really trying to turn my heart to the work.
My companion's name is Sis. Kost. She's from Pennsylvania. She is rather quiet, but I'm breaking her in. :) We are getting along really well, despite our very different backgrounds. We are rooming with 3 other sisters. 2 going to Atlanta, Georgia. 1 to Denmark. I have really bonded with Sis. Lanier, who's going to Atlanta. She is just like me but 4 years older and really into athletics. I am totally in love with her. Sis. Moore is going to Denmark. She's a solo sister but so full of spunk its like she's 2 sisters.
My first teaching experience was an absolute disaster!!! (you all know me and how I like to tell stories, but this is NOT exaggerated.) My companion and I came back practically crying. The investigator (our teacher) did not believe in God and was rather hostile. It was a mess. Since then there have been some discouraging encounters, but for the most part we have continued to improve and learn how to listen to the spirit. Yesterday was the best lesson we have ever given. We fell in love with our less active member immediately. Everything just flowed well: we understood each other's teaching habits, we testified, but the best part of all was that we both felt the spirit tell us specific things to say to this woman, and we were able to follow the promptings and change the countenance of our sweet member.
As for the missionary schedule and rules, I have no real problems with it. My poor companion has to wait for me in the bathroom constantly, but that's the worst that it gets. The other companionship is really struggling. Sis. Lanier companion has no speed, no volume, is homesick, and sadly, hardly any courage. Her personality is really clashing with Sister L's get up and go attitude. We are all trying to help them along.
We LOVE our district. Half of us are going to Farmington and the other half is going to Atlanta. There are only 4 of us Sisters, and 8 Elders. Some of them are power couples and the others are just plain funny. We do a lot of laughing, which we need to keep from going crazy.
Love you all! I'll email next week!
Sis. Wilkins
I can't figure out to send photos to save my life...we'll see what I can do next week.

No comments: