Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tears in Shiprock

October 17, 2011 (email)

Tragedy keeps striking in Shiprock. Elder Munns is being transferred out to the middle of nowhere to help out another Elder. I've not been a happy camper. Official transfers are in 2 weeks, but I was joking with him that I thought he was going to be voted off the island then. He didn't like it, but his companion agreed with me. The next day he sent us a text saying I was right and he was being ET'ed (emergency transferred). I didn't believe him until he told me in person. I thought I had 2 weeks to prepare myself for my best friend leaving, but no, I had 2 days. If I thought Sis. Tsosie and I were good friends, it was nothing compared to me and Elder Munns. I've not been a happy camper. I don't know what its like in other missions, but when an elder leaves, his companion or roommates give him a tie. I didn't want to miss out on the fun, so I bought him a tie. I gave it to him last night, and he's wearing it today. I feel so special. :)

There were good things that happened this week. We had exchanges with one of the Sisters who goes home in 2 weeks. It was Sis. Wilkes!!! The girl who was my EFY roommate 5 years ago. IT was AWESOME! We took her to Red Valley and took pictures on the wall and by Shiprock.

She was going to take a photo of how dirty our truck got, and started backing up but fell into a HUGE mud pit. I nearly fell over laughing. I couldn't believe the sucking noises as her feet sunk in and pulled out of the mud.


Then I put a picture of the Elders at the Flea Market. It always starts out freezing cold (hence their super heavy jackets) but then gets so hot we are all dripping in sweat. The last picture is Elder Munns with his handy rope. He started roping things at our trailer while his companion (the district leader) takes numbers for the area on Sunday nights. He got the bright idea to try to rope my feet. We actually got pretty good. He has this fancy swinging stuff, I jump, and then I land in the center of the rope as he yanks it tight around my knees. I'm pretty proud of myself.

Well, it has been a normal, missionary week. And it will probably be a normal missionary week. My companion and I are starting to figure things out together. Finally :) We understand one another, talk more, and find something to laugh about every day. Things are really looking up.
I love you all! Stay safe. Please read the Book of Mormon EVERY DAY! (It is something we are challenging the ward to do every day. There is going to be a ward-wide competition to see who can read the most. Its going to be awesome! I can't wait for them to recognize the blessings that come from reading the Book of Mormom daily.)

Love, Sis. Wilkins

No comments: