Tuesday, January 10, 2012

January in Shiprock

January 10, 2012 (email)



Everywhere else there is probably snow and gloomy misery...not in Shiprock. Its in the mid 40s every day, and the sun is always out. It still looks like a brown dead place, but at least the sky is always colorful. The sunrises and sunsets have been absolutely stunning the past couple weeks. We have tons and tons of photos of them.

We had a lot of good things this week! On Wednesday, we "butchered." A recent convert's family let Sister Kesler cut the throat on the sheep. Did I ever mention that EVERYONE has sheep and they love mutton!? Mutton this, and mutton that. I can't stand it anymore. ugh. Anyways, she was over the sheep ready to go, and I was in charge of recording it on her camera. I was a little nervous, because I have never seen anything die in person...but I wanted to be tough. I didn't have to be, because the Elders showed up and one recorded up close, while I stood behind the other watching through my fingers. (I may have been squealing the entire time) but I never passed out or got sick. Not even when they cut the intestine off of the stomach, and that repulsive smell filled the air.

Then Heavenly Father permitted us to be angels in another woman's life. We just showed up, and she was feeling so lost and lonely. We didn't say much, we just listened and loved. It is such a blessed thing to be a part of.

We also started working with a new investigator who has been completely prepared by the Lord. I met her a few months ago, and it just didn't work out. But now she is flying. She has shown more dedication and excitement than anyone I have ever met. She came to church and LOVED the entire experience. She started reading the Gospel Principles book and the George A. Smith book. Then she said she has only read a "little bit" of the Book of Mormon....SHE READ 17 CHAPTERS IN 4 DAYS!!!!!! I've never seen anything like it before! She has a baptismal date for the 21 of January! Her name is Angie Garcia, and I absolutely adore her.

We (the missionaries) gave talks on Sunday...we all focused on the Book of Mormon, and I think it went well. We just finished a challenge to read every day and had teams within the ward to see who could read the most, and it totally changed the ward. Now we are trying to get every member to read it within the year. We are so excited.

I got the camera from home! It is fantastic. I'm having way too much fun with it.

And the biggest news of all.....I got my driver's license!!! HALLELUJAH!! I wasn't sure if it would ever happen.

Yesterday we had interviews with president, and he hinted that unless the spirit told him otherwise, he didn't have any plans to move me from Shiprock next transfer! Yay!!

Love you!

Sister Wilkins

Oh, and I include some photos of fun.
We were messing around with the camera at lunch after district meeting, and took one of an elder by accident on the "poster" setting. It gave us an idea, so we did another shot later....


No comments: