Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New Beginnings

January 23, 2012 (email)

Well....Goodbye Shiprock. We got transfer news....I'm going to Cortez, CO....its just north of Shiprock. Actually, it is the ward that touches Shiprock, but it is a completely different Stake. I'm kinda bummed, but at the same time I am at peace. I was indifferent to staying or leaving. I knew I would be happy either way. And I actually felt like I might go to Cortez if I was transferred. (There is a lady in the Cortez ward who we run into a lot here, and she really likes me and said she would pray really hard that I come up her way soon...she must have been given the gift of prayer.)

Elder Buynak is going to Tohatchi, NM, which is north of Gallup. Sister Kesler is going to be "step-training" meaning her companion came out one transfer back. Elder Wise is getting an Elder who knows EVERYTHING about Disney (probably more than dad) and I'm pretty sure if I stayed he would get on my nerves because he knows more than me :)


Well, Mom said way back in a letter not to tell her the scary things about my mission until I came home safe and sound....Well since I'm leaving Shiprock tomorrow, I thought I could send a picture of what part of our area looks like...so here is the burnt out house. There are 2 entire neighborhoods that have NICE houses like this one, but the gangs didn't like something about the whole situation, so they burned them all out and destroyed them. Most of the homes have extreme profanity on them, so I didn't send any of my other photos. I was pretty shocked when Sister Tsosie drove me through the area my first day, but now it doesn't even phase me. I was always really curious about the layout of the houses, so one day Sister Kesler and I explored one...it was pretty spooky....but now I'm moving to Ute country...so I shouldn't have to worry about the Navajo gangs much. :) Have I got you nervous yet? Here are 2 more "scary" details.... 1) I was given pepper spray and I carry it everywhere....among other things.... 2) the Elders in Toadalina had their trailer and vehicle attacked by a drunk man this week. He broke all the windows on everything. They called the police and then President Jones. Our President is a cowboy, and he suggested that the Elders rope him and sit on him until the cops come :) They would have done it too if they had any rope.


This week we had the Baptism for Angelia (Angie Garcia). I included LOTS of photos of her baptism. She is a stud. She is amazing. She was planning on her whole family coming, but then at the last minute they were all "too busy" and NO ONE came! It was her, us, the Elders, and the ward members we had presiding and helping out. She was changing after being wet, and her mom and brother walked into the church and asked for her. Angie's mom walked in the bathroom, and told her it was time to go. They had some family activity out and about, and they were her ride there, and they didn't want to wait anymore. I was shocked. Angie came over and asked me if we had to finish the rest of the program. I didn't know what to do, but the Elders and the Ward Mission Leader decided we could have a closing song and prayer and call it good. Wow.


Yesterday I bawled and bawled at church. I did pretty good until I had to say goodbye to April Yazzie and her girls. She and I are truly sisters. She says I am a Beligana version of her. (A beligana is a "white person" in Navajo.) Church time wasn't enough, so we went back over last night to say good bye. We cried and cried again. I love that photo of me and all her girls.


The last picture is me burning a jacket....IT wasn't mine....The tradition for elders is to burn a tie, a shirt, slacks, and an entire suit, every 6 months. Well, for sisters there isn't a set thing, at least that we know of...but I didn't want to burn anything of mine! I like it all too much. So I found a REALLY UGLY jacket that a sister of long ago left in the closet and we burned it this morning. It had crazy chemicals and dye in it, and the smoke is NASTY! It was on my clothing, so I changed my clothes. IT was on my hands, so I scrubbed them forever in the shower. Then I thought it was gone, but I kept smelling it in the trailer. I realized it was my hair! I washed it and everything and it still stinks 4 hours later!

I love you lots! I'll let you know how Cortez is!!

Love, Sister Wilkins

No comments: