Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter in Shiprock...Ha! Funny joke! We skipped winter here

January 17, 2012 (email)

Hello friends and family!

This week was all over the place. It felt like a long, miserable week, but we were finally able to meet some of our big goals, and I feel rather accomplished. Finally!

We have decided that Satan has moved to Shiprock. Everyone and their 15 rez dogs has felt miserable. Its like he is trying to ruin everyone's life here. We ran into so many broken hearts and families this week, and I think I cried very day. (I'm usually pretty tough, but this week the tears were flowing. Thank heavens Sister Kesler is kind and willing to let me cry in her lap.)
We went to visit a family of recent converts, the Smiths. Mom and daughters are members, dad is not. He's drunk all the time, and it is completely destroying their family. Sister Kesler has had lots of experience with alcoholics, and she took the reins dealing with him. She was so bold, and I just tried not to shake in my boots. She knew exactly what to say, and totally channeled the wrath and strength of heaven down. The women of the family came to understand how much we care for them and how much Heavenly Father cares. I think they were given the boost to keep going, and keep pushing to conquer this challenge in life.

On Wednesday night we got a call from another recent convert, Lisa Begay. She is 9 months pregnant, and was at the hospital. We didn't understand why she would want us instead of the Elders for a blessing. When we walked in and her husband was sitting next to her, we were REALLY confused....Her husband was there, but he wasn't really there. He was totally exhausted from watching their twins and working 2 jobs with crazy hours, and sitting in one place for that long made him conk out. She was pretty much alone, and was kind of scared. Her twins were delivered by C-Section, and they wanted her to try this one on her own. She didn't know what to think, hadn't planned for that, and didn't know what to do. She said her water had broken, and they put her on medication to start the contractions. She wanted someone who could cheer her up, and let her know what was going on....So she called us. Obviously we are rather cheerful, but I found it really funny that little me, who has never given birth, could give her all sorts of info on what to expect and what her body had to do and how it had to change to get this sweet baby here. We stayed with her until they kicked us out so she could sleep. Then we went back in the morning, and there was still no baby. After 24 hours, with really no change in anything, the doctors figured out her water had ruptured but not broken. She was bummed, and was kind of silly as she complained about going home again to wait out the next couple of weeks. Oh I hope we are here for the delivery of this baby! I have been waiting since my first day in Shiprock when she announced she was pregnant!!

We had stake Conference on Sunday, and our Beloved Angie Garcia drove the hour to the stake center, and then got situated between a bunch of our ward members, who took her up to meet the mission president, temple president, and the visiting member of the 70!!! Oh they are studs. She is a stud. We have the most amazing and golden investigator I have ever met! I'm so excited for her baptism this weekend. Please pray that she stays strong and can fight off the adversary this week.


We went hiking to a waterfall for P-Day. I thought it would be boring the 2nd time around, but not this time! IT had frozen over completely, and was one of the most incredible and beautiful things I have ever seen. oh, and we took Sister Kesler to 4 Corners because she had never seen it before. That was DEFINITELY NOT exciting the 2nd time. We were in and out in 10 min...and it would have been 5 min if the wind hadn't been blowing so bad.


The biggest thing of the week was a growing experience I had. I won't go into detail, because it was really intense for me...But I was thinking about humility and wondering how to become more humble. It was in my prayers, which is a dangerous thing to mention in prayers. :) But I had an experience where Heavenly Father let me experience what it is like to not have his light around. My eyes were opened. Being humble is knowing how much you need God in your life. Well, from that experience, I realized how critical it is to have him nearby. Without his light, I can't be myself. My bubbly, happy personality comes from the light he gives me. Without him I am nothing. I am not me. I need him just to be myself. It was amazing to figure it all out. I get it.
I am going to attach lots of photos this week. Things that I wanted to include from long ago without a camera, and things from this week.


I love you all. I hope you have fantastic weeks. Transfer news comes this Saturday. I'm trying not to think about it!

Sister Wilkins

No comments: