Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wind and Surprises

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 (email)

Hello everyone! Well, there are a couple little birdies flying around. Some of them family, some of them friends, and some of them were members in Cortez...So if you haven't heard....I'm in FARMINGTON!!! (So, April Yazzie, I am close by and totally willing to give hugs.) I came in this morning...and my new companion is............Sister Rachel Patrick!!!! AGAIN!!!! NO WAY!!!!  We are so excited. I know we had a slightly tense transfer, but we really figured things out at the end, and we have both changed and experienced a lot in the last 3 months, so we are STOKED!!!!
 
We got transfer news on Saturday, and I was so relieved. I was ready to do something else. And this transfer was SO MUCH EASIER than coming to Cortez. We are going to be in Farmington (4th ward) when we get our new mission president (President Batt) and I'm so thankful for that...because I really wanted to say goodbye to him. We live in a member's home. She has had sisters living with her for many many years, and everyone loves the woman. She is called the mom and therapist of all the sisters in Farmington. Sister Patrick has only been here for 2 weeks, so we are practically white washing the area. We look forward to the challenge. I guess in the past some of the sisters have been kinda snooty about working in some of the more poor areas of the ward...but with Sister Patrick and I having served reservation, NOTHING scares us. We hope to really gain the trust of the ward and make the work explode here.
 
This coming week, Tad Calister of the 70 is coming to tour the mission. We get to have a big meeting with him on Sunday, and we are so excited. There are going to be a couple zones at the meeting...and it will be a spiritual feast.
 
This past sunday there was a HUGE surprise for me. Sacrament meeting has just ended from the 9am ward, and someone tapped me on the shoulder. I looked up and saw someone I recognized, but couldn't figure out how. It was a young man. Hey, a guy from my singles ward. Oh, it's Alex...who dated Sharla....WHO MARRIED SHARLA!!!!! SHARLA?!?!?!?!?! WHAT!!!!! Then I realized he was telling me something...there was someone in the hallway who wanted to see me. I darted into the hall, and there she was! Sharla Compton: my roommate and beloved best bud! She and Alex were honeymooning in Durango and she knew what ward I was in. So they drove an hour to come to sacrament meeting at 11am with me. Oh, I was so TICKLED!!! I couldn't believe it! So cool!!
 
Well, I feel like my brain is not connected to my body...and my thoughts are not really coming together. I hope everyone is doing well. I feel like I am starting to really get into missionary brain mode, and I'm happy about it. This is such an amazing experience, and I want to get as much out of it as I can. I love you all. Be safe. Have fun.
 
Sister Wilkins

No comments: