Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hello from weed central

Monday, August 6, 2012 (email)


When I say "weed" I mean as in the ones that grow everywhere that make you want to scream!

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to write last week, but I for sure have 9 minutes right now. Let's see how fast my fingers can type.

We have been doing service like its nobody's business. We pull weeds for Ronda (the lady we live with) whenever we get the chance. She has a HUGE backyard that has not done so well in fighting the weeds. She has bad health, and can't get out there to do it. I spend my half hour of exercising out there working on my arm muscles by pulling them. These boogers are HUGE!!!! They are so mean and snarly! Oye! Plus I realized that whenever my skin touches one specific kind, it stings, goes numb, and gets a rash. Not fun.


I included a picture of the Peace Family. From Left to right its, Michelle, Emileigh, Chris, and Lileigh. We did a very sad thing with them this week: we moved them to Bloomfield. SSOOOOOBBBBBBBBB!!!!!! We were glad to be able to help them, but heartbroken to say good bye. We made sure they had the elders' phone number and we had our ward mission leader contact their ward.

This week also had another sad moment, but this one is a bit more intense. There was a recent convert, Carol Curry, who was baptized last fall, who died this week. I felt the prompting that we needed to go see her after planning, and just as we were about to leave the house, we got a call that she had been found dead in her trailer. The Relief Society President found her. We talked with the President later in the week, and she said she had also had the prompting to go over. She was glad that someone else had received some nudges as well; but she was also glad that she was the one to find Carol, and that we were not the ones who had to do it. It is sad because no one was there with her, but it is ok. She was peaceful. It was in her sleep. She has had a LOT of health problems recently and now she is healthy and happy. She is with her husband, and she was active when she died. We are all glad that she was able to leave this broken body behind and find joy.

Changing subjects, I had Navajo tea for the first time this week! (don't worry, it is ok with the Word of Wisdom). Last summer Sister Tsosie and I picked a flower on the side of the road, cleaned it, dried it, and tied it. Well, she took it when she transfered, and I was really sad I didn't get to experience it. A couple weeks back I was given some dry Navajo tea, and I asked Dorothy, my shima, to help me make it. We boiled it in water for about 30 min, and then it was time to drink. I don't know what I was expecting it to taste like. Certainly not sweet cider or anything, but I was still kinda taken aback when it just tasted like a plant soaked in water. :) HA! When I added sugar to it, the whole thing kinda tasted like cream of wheat...weird taste for a liquid thing.




I also included a photo of my new Navajo CTR ring. I absolutely adore it!



Then there is a photo of me and Sister Rowley. I realized you didn't know what she looked like yet. Notice that her badge also says Sister Wilkins. HA! I always carry around an extra tag incase I forget mine. well...I never forget mine, but my companions often do...so there are many days where there are two Sister Wilkins' roaming the streets of Farmington :)



The last photo is of wild turkeys. They roam this area all over the place, and we were finally able to get a photo of some this week.

Well, that's about it for out here. I love you all!!! Be safe. Have fun!

Love, Sister Melinda Wilkins

No comments: