Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Did you know that Praying Mantis pop when you step on them?

Monday, September 10, 2012 (email)

I walked out the front door this morning, with full hands and heard a pop under my shoe. "Whoooop? What was that pop?" And Sister Isaacson and I turned around and saw the smooshed praying mantis on the ground. Wow. Didn't know that happened.

So, I don't want anyone's panties getting in a wad over this next story. I am totally fine, and it was a freak incident, not a common occurrence in the area. OK...deep breath. On Wednesday night we had an appointment with DeAnndra and we parked our car down the street from her house. We did the lesson and then got picked up so we could all go to mutual together (we want to help her make friends.) After Mutual, we got dropped back off at her house and we walked down the hill to the truck. when we got there, our front driver's side window had been bashed out!!! SERIOUSLY???!!!!?????!!!!! Yup. But, the coolest thing was this time when there was car drama, I didn't freak out. I knew exactly what to do, and I was totally calm. I did what had to be done, and didn't worry. We  made it home and got there safe, but there was a ton of glass. It looks like they hit it with a bat and then drove off. They didn't take a thing, they didn't beat anything else up, no rotten note. I broke the rest of the glass out of the window so it wouldn't cut my face and arms while I drove home. 



 Well, drama over, so next story. Last Sunday we had an awesome moment. Aviana Behrens, who is the 11 year old member daughter of 2 investigators from the rez (did you follow that?) wanted to bear her testimony at sacrament meeting. But she was sooooo nervous because her rez branch only had 20 people max, and our ward has hundreds. So I told her that I would go first and then she could follow. It didn't work at first. She just sat on the stand instead of getting up. It took a lot of coaxing, and silent prayers on both of our parts...but eventually she agreed to get up if I would whisper what to say in her ear. So eventually we did...but then she sat back down on the stand. So I sat next to her again. "What is it honey?" "I want to do it again, but this time by myself."...so a couple of people later, she got up again and did it! Oh, it was so simple and so beautiful. She was so proud of herself when she was done. I probably looked like a really proud mama when we walked down to our seats. Then the man to get up after her said some of the sweetest things ever...about me!!!!! He said how much he enjoyed Aviana's testimony, but how wonderful it would be if we all had sweet angels speaking into our ears telling us what to say, and then we would have gained the courage to get up and say it. WOW! He called me a sweet angel! :)

Last Monday we went to Bollack's Museum here in Farmington. He owns everything, and was a big game hunter all his life. He has a personal collection of all the things he shot and stuffed....and he lets the public come and see them for free. It was pretty cool to see a giraffe, elephant, polar bear, tiger, and shark in the middle of dirty Farmington, New Mexico. It was really interesting. There was one alligator from Africa that had been a real pain to a local tribe, so they had him come shoot it. When they opened the GIANT thing up (like 25 ft!!!) there were human remains, and some really nice jewelry in the stomach cavity. Woah!


We are also teaching Jennifer McDonald, who has totally leaped forward this week. She originally didn't want to meet with us often, but then she started in on the Book of Mormon, and has fallen in love with it. Now she wants us to come over a lot more. YAY! But she still has a hard time with the ye's and thou's and the timing...so she asked if there was a CD. HECK YES!!! She said she would go out and buy it immediately, because she has a long road trip coming up soon, and she would love to listen to it the entire time!! Hooray!!

We live with Ronda, and she is awesome! She is so funny, and we get to talk to her almost every night before bed. Usually she is the mom and helps us work through personal struggles or talk our investigator woes. BUT...the other night, I was able to help her. She has been reading the Book of Mormon again, and for the life of her she can't keep the authors and family members straight. She just grumbles because she is in her 50s and has read the Book of Mormon a dozen times, but she still needs help. so I sat with her and drew out a Character map of who is who, when they were alive, who wrote what book, and when it all happened. SHE LOVES IT!!! and I feel so good for being able to do it!

And last of all, the other day we had a lesson with Sarah Combs. She has met with missionaries many times over the last 10 years, and already knows all the material, so it is hard to teach her something new. I was praying and praying about what to teach, and then it all clicked! We did a lesson on The Family: A Proclamation to the World, and it was an INCREDIBLE  lesson. WOW! Prayer works, prayer works!!!

I kinda really enjoy my life. kinda a lot. My companion makes me want to explode with happiness every day! EVERY DAY!! LOVE HER!!!!

And, I LOVE all of you!

Love, Sister Wilkins

No comments: