Monday, September 17, 2012

...um...my brain is fried...I can't come up with anything clever

Monday, September 17, 2012 (email)

Hi everybody. If for some reason some of my words are spelled wrong, its because this keyboard is not nice to me. In particular the "Y". Most of my words are missing a "y" or I have to go back and type it in again. Sorry in advance.
On Monday, we ran all over town doing errands, but we got everything done! We couldn't believe it!!!

Tuesday  we be-bopped everywhere again, and it was our most productive day. We had some good lessons and good visits with families we had not been able to contact in a while. The most fun thing that we did was a lesson with Dylan and Blair. We wanted to focus on scripture stories, but not have it be too intimidating and lesson like, because they would both walk out and shluff us off if we made it too stiff. They have a pretty good background with some of the stories from the Gospel Art Book, so someone started describing a picture/story, and everyone else would have to draw it. When their picture started to look familiar, they would yell out what the scripture story was and then tell the rest of us how it went. They really enjoyed it. I can take no credit for the good idea, it was all the Spirit.

Wednesday is when everything started falling apart. We had a fantastic Plan of Salvation lesson with Jennifer, the super excited Book Of Mormon reader who wants to learn everything. She is awesome. Sister Isaacson is doing so great with teaching. We had her take over and do most of the teaching, and she is a total natural. But then EVERYTHING CANCELED!!! Everything. The day looked really full and it went to nothing. We became so discouraged,because nothing we tried resulted in anything. We were so distraught, that we sat in the car and said a prayer for encouragement. Mid-prayer the heavens opened and started a DOWNPOUR!!!! Sister Isaacson had to yell to finish the prayer. We spit out Amen, and then burst into laughter. "OK Heavenly Father! We get it! Just laugh about it and move on!"

Oh, Wednesday night we had dinner with the Eager family, and it was the BEST DINNER ALL WEEK!!!!! They made Honey Lime Enchiladas. Mom and Ashlee Barrow, do you hear this? GO AND FIND THE RECIPE FOR HONEY LIME ENCHILADAS!!!!! Those are the best enchiladas I have ever had!! You will love them!!! Plus, they are in love with the Piano Guys!! and they had some of the classical stuff in the background! HOLY COW!!! I NEED THAT MUSIC!!! SOOOO WONDERFUL!!! Its so uplifting and so beautiful. 

So, Thursday was supposed to be really good and full...and district meeting was...but the rest of the day went a lot like Wednesday. At district meeting we had been asked to study the atonement, and prepare a 5 minute talk in case we get picked to give it....I got picked, but the spirit prompted me to change it all right at the last minute. I thought it was for someone else in the room, but when I was the only one bawling during it, I realized I was the one the lesson was changed for. We also had a cool activity that I had read about before, but never experienced first hand. The district leader brought donuts, but if we were going to get one, his companion would have to do 10 pushups for us. "Would you like a donut?" yes "Elder, Gaukner, will you do 10 push ups so they can have a donut?" Then he would do it. "Do you want a donut?" No. "Elder Gaukner, will you do 10 pushups for the donut that they don't want?" and then he would do it. It got hard to watch Elder Gaukner struggle, because towards the end it looked agonizing. The poor guy was struggling so much. Even though I understood the principle of the lesson from reading about it a while ago, it was so much more powerful in person.

Thursday was a crappy day, but it ended with lots of screaming. We were driving home and ran into a FREAK hail storm. It was so instantaneous and so powerful, that we could not see out of the window. Our wipers were going as fast as they could, and the defrost was going full blast, but it was not helping. There was no light outside and all we could see was the continuous blur of splattered hail on the glass. It was nasty. I have never driven in such bad weather. But we made it home, crawling at 5 miles and hour. 
 

Saturday night was stake conference, and we got to go because we had investigators and recent converts coming. It was FANTASTIC!!! I have never gone to an adult session because I always had to work in college. Its the Saturday night, without the kids where the deep doctrine and fun stuff is! We were in awe the entire time. I had 4 pages of notes from one 20 min talk!! Yayyy!!!! We are so focused on the simple teachings that we never get very deep stuff...so it was AWESOME to get to sink our teeth into some really intense stuff.

Well, that was my week. now my fingers hurt from all the typing. I'm sorry for the lack of "Y"s in this. Love you lots! (Oh, and the "e" has trouble too!)

Love,
Sister Wilkins

1 comment:

Maddy McHale said...

Wilkins Fam- I randomly found a recipe that might resemble the one Sister Wilkins mentioned in her lesson. It's from the 2011 Encinitas Ward Cookbook. The recipe was submitted by Angie Curtis. I'm going to make it this week! Let me know if you would like the recipe!