Monday, September 3, 2012

Loving Life

Monday, September 3, 2012 (email)


So, Sister Isaacson and I are more similar than we thought...We both have tye-die pj shirts, we both love to put our hair in buns on the tops of our heads, and we both love the heck out of each other!

We met with Gerald Llewellyn this week (did I mention him last week?) and had a FANTASTIC lesson. We found out how quickly he wanted to get baptized, and then we had to find out if he had problems with the Word of Wisdom or the Law of Chastity....I knew I had to take the lead, because Sister Isaacson wouldn't have a clue. I went through the Word of Wisdom stuff...and he paused for a minute, but then smiled and totally committed whole heartily to follow it...but then came the tough stuff. Lots of missionaries will skirt around Law of Chastity stuff, because they get embarrassed..but I knew if he wanted to do the baptism quick, I needed to know some details quick. He has a fiance who moved to town this week, and I had to be really blunt about how intimate he would be with her. He said the wedding was planned for December, and I asked some blunt questions....and he responded, "Well, I want to be baptized really bad, so the wedding with HAVE TO BE moved up. I'll see how quickly we can do it." I was shocked. This guy is determined, and he wants this baptism so bad!!! I am so excited to work with him. He and his fiance came to church yesterday, and we were so happy for them. At one point he asked us if his baptism was important to us. I almost slapped him! I was kinda hurt! WELL YES YOUR BAPTISM IS IMPORTANT TO US!!! EVERY BAPTISM IS OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE!!!!!! He was so touched that we cared that much. He said he had never met anyone who had cared that much about him, besides his family, and then he paused, "No, who has cared about me MORE than my family." Wow. This guy is awesome! We just adore him!

I tried Greek food for the first time this week...It is NOT for me! I liked it...for about the first 10 minutes! Then it was just too overwhelming! Oye. Sister Isaacson got a sandwich that was soooo big, that we have been eating it for 3 days now. WE, not her, WE!!

We started teaching Dorothy's niece Melanie this week. She just moved in with Dorothy. We met with the family twice, and Melanie was so quiet we were worried that she would never open up. BUT!! She read a good handful of chapters from the Book of Mormon herself, and then came to church yesterday!!! Actually, we were really shocked when the whole family came. Dorothy just had surgery, Dylan hasn't come since he was baptized 6+ months ago, and Blair doesn't like coming. There was one draw back, we had so many people at church yesterday, and they were all spread out in different classes during the 2nd hour, that we couldn't be with all of them! Blair had a miserable time, even though we were by her side and trying to help. I'm not sure what to do to help her. We were shocked to see her there, and hoped now she could make huge strides forwards....but now she had jumped waaaaaayyyyy back because she hated it so much. Ugh. This is going to be rough trying to do damage control.

On Saturday we did something I have never done before...we spent 5 hours tracting! (I have done 3 hours solid, but never 5) that is a lot. We were pretty tuckered out...but we both had the spiritual witness to be there. We found one old man, who we thought would be receptive, but as we talked on his doorstep, he began to argue more and more. He was convinced that we worshiped Joseph Smith and that he was the head of our church. It didn't matter how we worded it, or how many times we said we believed in Christ, and worshiped Christ, he wouldn't have it. We were becoming progressively stressed, because we didn't want to argue, but he wouldn't let the conversation end. We stayed extremely friendly and positive, but Sister Isaacson and I were sweating bullets. I have never been so pushed about my testimony of Joseph Smith and the Savior. And yet, I have never had a stronger testimony of the two. The man (Otis Davis) kept stepping closer and closer, hoping to get me to back down or renounce, or "lose" the argument, but I never moved. My shoulders were squared, my face was calm and friendly, and I testified of what I knew. I looked straight into his eyes, and told him of the First Vision and would not drop his gaze. I would not show weakness or distress, because my testimony empowers me. I KNOW JOSEPH SAW HEAVENLY FATHER AND JESUS CHRIST. I KNOW JOSEPH WAS A PROPHET OF GOD and no matter what this man said, I would not deny that knowledge.

It was such an incredible experience. I can't say I have had to defend my religion that way before...But it felt incredible to know that when opposition came, I was not afraid to stand up boldly for what I believe in. I felt like a real missionary, one with power and authority from God. Every week at district meeting we recite a quote from Bruce. R. McConkie called My Commission. It says: I am called of God. My authority is above that of kings of the earth. By revelation I have been selected as a personal representative of Jesus Christ. He is my master, and He has chosen me to represent Him. To stand in His place, to say and do what He would say and do if He were personally ministering unto the very people whom He has sent me. My voice is His voice. My acts are His acts. My words are His words. My doctrine is His doctrine. My commission is to do what He wants done, to say what He wants said, to be a living modern witness in word and deed of the divinity of His great and marvelous latter day work. How great is my calling!!

I echo those words today! I am called of God. My authority is above kings of the Earth! How great is my calling!!! Wow, It is amazing to realize that I am a servant of the Lord, and nothing can tempt me to deny my faith. I love this work!

Sister Wilkins

No comments: