Monday, November 19, 2012

Jennifer's Baptism

Monday, November 19, 2012 (email)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

SO I have this terribly long list of things to email, but no time to do it. We will probably be kicked off the computers soon, and we are being given special permission to email today. Our pday was moved to Thursday...which I am SOOOO excited for.

Last Monday I was at the copy store, and this girl darts in the front door and throws her arms around me and starts crying. It was Nitra from Shiprock!!!! She saw me walk in an came darting after me. She and I were the dearest of friends and connected really well. But I wasn't really able to say goodbye when I left and I haven't heard from her since. I gave her my info and we were just sooo happy for that little moment. Thank heavens for tender mercies.

I got a blessing from the Toadalina and Shiprock Elders on Monday too. It was the sweetest experience. They have become good friends with Sister Isaacson and I and it was so kind of them to help me out before I got with Sister Nay again. There is something to be said about being surrounded by that much power and love. 

Sister Nay is really good at tracting...which is such a blessing because all of our investigators either moved or we dropped them. We need to overhaul our teaching pool now. We have been working hard...which is good. Because when we are teaching I hardly have time to get irritated or feel like I'm being talked down to. It is only at the end of the night that I feel crummy...but I have been working on smiling constantly, focusing on the positive, and listening to Christmas music. This Christmas is going to mean so much more to me, because I feel like I can connect to the Savior, His love, and His sacrifice more than I ever could thus far in my life.

I had an interview with president and was able to ask my questions. He said he woke up at 3 am one morning, and the spirit told him who all the sister companionships should be in a dream...so he wrote them down and did not question the logic. Ok, that is a good enough answer for me. He doesn't know how long we will be together, but I will just take it one week at a time...which is ok because the pattern is holiday, nothing, temple trip, nothing, transfers, holiday, holiday, freak out because I go home in a handful of weeks. yup. I'll make it :)

We had a less active member make us some chili this week, and it was the kind that burned your bum on the way out. It was soooo hot that I literally had to gasp for air after. They said this particular batch was only at a 6, but usually it is around a 9 or 10. holy crap. I have finally become a New Mexican, because I LOVE green chili on EVERYTHING!!! But I haven't burned my taste buds off yet. And I don't plan on it. I think I will have to make a yearly trek back to New Mexico so I can buy fresh green chili to use in all my cooking throughout the year.

Jennifer's baptism was incredible. The ward said it was on of the greatest baptisms they have ever had. Sister Isaacson was able to come, and she and I stood beside the font holding the towel, clutching each other and crying as Jennifer was baptized. We loved every minute of it. Jennifer shared her simple but extremely powerful testimony and had everyone in the room emotional. When she was confirmed on Sunday she was promised so really powerful things. She is so cute. When everyone said hello and congrats later, she just exclaimed: "This is the greatest Church EVER!!!"
 

I realized something big. When I love people, I feel complete. When I get rushed and Sister Nay is more concerned with the number of people we see, and I don't get to focus on the individual and their needs, then I feel incomplete. I realized that my duty in life will be a visiting teacher for the masses....and I'm ok with that because it makes me feel really good to do it.

I had to play piano for district meeting...which is bad because I am NOT good. The worst part was, my only chance to practice at Ronda's was when her famous son in law, Sheldon Pickering, the concert pianist with CDs world wide, was there to hear me mess up left and right. I was sooooo self conscious  But I promised him that I would take lessons again when I get home. 

Well, my fingers are dead from typing so fast. I'm sorry to my family members who didn't get long responses because of this email. I love you all!!!

Love,
Sister Wilkins

No comments: