Monday, November 12, 2012

"Just rip it off like a bandaid ELDER!!!!!!"

Monday, November 12, 2012 (email)

Um, transfer news came in....We about fell over.

We have tried not to mention the "T Word" at all, because we didn't want to psych ourselves out. Since I have been in Farmington for 6 Months, and only have 3 left, we were sure I was leaving. Either me going to Bloomfield to help Sister Patrick (because she is really struggling) or going to Flagstaff. We were preparing people for the news, and told them we thought I would leave, but didn't know for sure....

The news normally comes in at 9pm...but we didn't get a call until 9:45.
"So nice of you to FINALLY call us."
"Actually, you are the first ones I called....I was going to make you last...but I was so shocked and I knew you wouldn't like it, so..."
"What is it Elder?"
"I mean, this is really surprising, and wow. Just wow."
"Elder what is the news?!?!"
"I hope you don't freak-"
"ELDER! JUST RIP IT OFF LIKE A BAND AID! ELDER!!!!!!"

He then word vomited REALLY quick: "Sister Isaacson is going to Bloomfield to be with Sister Patrick, and Sister Nay is coming here with Sister Wilkins."

Silence on our end.

"See, I told you, you wouldn't like it."
"Wow Elder. Wow."
"Ya, I know."
"Okaaayyy then. Um. Thanks. Have a good night."
"Yaaaah, you guys too. Well..um...ya. You too."

SISTER NAY. AGAIN.
Do you know enough about me and Sister Nay? Maybe not. When I was together with her the first time, I candy coated how bad it was because I didn't want to complain to you all....It was BAD. It was, for lack of a better word, an abusive relationship. It was just ugly. It wore me down into someone almost unrecognizable. When Sister Kesler saw me for the first time after leaving Cortez, she was shocked at who she saw. I wasn't my bubbly self. I wasn't happy. I wasn't me. Sister Isaacson has healed me and brought be back to myself...but this next transfer makes me nervous. It is only 5 weeks long because Christmas day hit right on transfers, so they are moving it up a week....but I don't know what will happen for the 7 week transfer, but I won't allow myself to go there mentally. I will take it one day at a time. The Lord obviously needs me to do it again, and he trusts me. He knows there is a lesson I didn't learn the first time...so now I am at his mercy.

For the last few months, I have been focusing on the phrase, "Not my will, but Thine be done." and this next transfer is a perfect example of that. It was reiterated yesterday at church when we sang the hymn with that title. I will truly miss Sister Isaacson with my whole heart, but I know the Lord needs her to help other people. She healed my broken heart with laughter and love, and hopefully she can do the same for Sister Patrick.

I will change the subject. Jennifer had her baptismal interview last night, and it went INCREDIBLE!!! She is soooooo prepared and ready. I have never met a person so guided by the hand of the Lord. She has been softened and changed and you would never recognize the woman she used to be.

Last Monday at Four Corners National Monument, we had a BLAST! (Literally: the wind was blowing sooo hard that we had a difficult time keeping our skirts down.) We had our lesson, with 5-10 minutes in each state: New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. As we were closing up the lesson, I had the thought: "Well, there are hardly any people here, and no one is taking pictures....It is kinda tacky, but how often do you get the opportunity to pray in 4 states at once? Ya, I'll ask if they want to pray on the center plate."

So I asked, and they all LOVED the idea, so we jumped up in the wind and put our toes on the center plate. I was about to offer to say the closing prayer, because I didn't want Jennifer to be nervous, but before I could open my mouth, she was praying!!! We thought it was great...but we didn't realize how big of a deal that was to her until we were driving home. For Jennifer, that was a moment where she was not ashamed. She was proud to become a Latter Day Saint. She wanted to show the world that this was her decision, and she was going to stick to it. (I felt silly, because I just wanted to pray in 4 states, but for her this was  a MAJOR testimony moment). We had a fantastic time.
 

Another photo is of what we came out of church to yesterday: Someone had Cheese Whizzed all of our door handles. Seriously? We have the worst luck with our Chitty.

 
Then there is a photo of us and the Behrens/Begay family. We tried soo hard to gt us all in the photo, with me reaching my arm out in front of us. There is Barbara and Woody, with Aviana, Alicia (Aleesia), and Elijah. We love them. Aviana is the only baptized member, but we are working on the rest of the family. They are sooo sweet.

 
The last picture is of us and the Eagar Girls, Abigail and Jane. They are the family that we did the mustaches with last time. We went by to say goodbye yesterday, and the little girls brought out the whipped cream again. this time was way more fun, because the little girls put the cream on us, and then us on them. We just laughed and laughed.
 

Oh, the last bit of big news, President gave Sister Isaacson permission to come to Jennifer's baptism on Saturday!! We are soooo excited. 

I love you all!!!

Have a fantastic week!!
Love,
Sister Wilkins

No comments: