Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Choose

I tell my kids every day...They can choose to stay and participate with us in the lesson, or they can choose to cry in the hall. I assure them that we want all of our friends with us...and they make a choice.

To cry or to stay.

Today it has been a choice: to cry or to stay and join.

I'm choosing to join...

But you bet your bottom dollar, that every, single, moment, I am sorely tempted to sit down and cry.

Hard days are not normal for me. Yes I'm busy, and yes I can do hard things...but hard, ugly, don't talk to me, kind of days are not normal in my world...at least not until practicum (student teaching) started.

I have had a hard day. At this point, do I cry or laugh....
I think I choose neither, because either one will make my headache worse.

(But just so you aren't worried...I would pick laugh.)
After a rotten day teaching, and a bug bite that itches to Texas and back, walking into the bathroom and finding a clogged toilet was simply too much.

At first I scowled. It was the I-Wish-I-Were-The-Living-Epitomy-Of-A-Romantic-Comedy....instead of doing this, sort of scowl.

But then I smiled. Why not? I mean, who else get's to unclog the toilet...that is perpetually clogged by an innocent 8 year old girl. (I mean seriously, I don't know how she is capable of that sort of thing on a weekly basis!)

I choose to smile. I choose to participate. I choose to pout for a bit, but then buck up and keep going.

I tell my kids, "Thanks for joining us! That was a good choice. You will be glad you joined it."

Someday I will be glad I joined in and decided to stop pouting.
Someday I will look back on the rotten day, huge bug bite, headache, and clogged toilet, and laugh.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

So many "bad days" will seem trivial in 5 years...even 1 year. Good luck. Keep choosing to join in. It's hard but you can do hard things! Everytime I talk to my 84 year old grandma she says, "I'm wonderful, life is great!" Spoken from a woman who has seen and done lots of hard things! Hang in there my friend. Love you attitude.