Monday, April 25, 2016

Nightmares

1.M.of.A #3

Most of you probably don't know that I have frequent nightmares. They vary exceedingly. Sometimes I wake up thrashing because snakes are biting my feet. Sometimes my dreams have so many finite details that I can't tell what is real life and what is dream. Quite frequently, those real life dreams are like the cartoons, where you wake up within your dream, within your dream...and you can't tell if you are actually awake or if you are awake in a dream.

Last night was a bad night. I "woke" up at 3 am frazzled, stressed, and confused about reality. I tossed and turned for half an hour, and then tried to sleep on the couch so I wouldn't disturb Alex, who had a final at 7am.

When his alarm went off, and I wasn't in the bed, he knew where to find me. Even hours later, I was still quivering and having a hard time getting my reality straight. He immediately and tenderly started to calm me down.  I love Alex because he does not get frustrated or fed up with me. He calms my nightmares like he has had practice doing it for a lifetime.

No comments: