Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Parable

This last Sunday we learned about Parables in Sunday School. Our teacher, Dallin, said Christ told stories/parables with life situations the people would understand. Dallin challenged us to watch for situations in our life that could be related in a parable. As the week goes by, we are to e-mail him our Parables, and he will send them out to everyone in the class. I am going to post my parable, and add any that I think are amazing.

My parable:
Learning to be like Christ is like being a baby learning how to walk. It starts simple as the parent (Christ) helps the baby learn how to stand: they hold the baby's hands and support the inexperienced infant's weight. The child builds strength in their legs and learns balance.

Just when the baby get's comfortable, their parent (Christ) lets go and steps back. The baby is scared and nervous but they finally take a step. The success of 3 shuffles is forgotten as the baby tumbles down. But not to worry, the parent lifts them back up quickly and encourages the child onward.

We are like the baby, coming unto Christ as we walk toward him. He shows us the principles and guides us at first, but expects us to walk forward on our own. We are scared standing there alone, but he is watching encouragingly. We don't know we have the ability to move forward...but he does. While we may fall a couple times, he is always there to pull us up. When we finally get there, we look up to see Jesus standing there, with a smile and open arms to receive us (Mormon 6:17).

My Roommate's Parable:
I was going for a walk Sunday night. I was concerned about something and I had a friend walking with me to comfort me and help me decide what to do. As we walked along they said to me, "watch out for the pokeys". There was a bush that was growing out over the sidewalk that I could not even see, because I was so focused on my situation and because it was getting dark. When they said that I thought about this being my parable. The parable of the pokeys. Satan distracts us and wants us to be worried and occupied with other matters so that we won't notice the other harmful things he can put in our paths. If we have been baptized into the church and are living righteously and keeping the commandments, we have been promised the companionship of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost can be our companion, He is a comforter, and He can "tell us all things what we should do". For the sake of this parable, my friend was able to help me see the situation clearly, protect me from what I couldn't see, help me feel calm and decide on what I should do. So, when the world is going too fast for you or you don't understand your circumstances, remember that the Holy Ghost is on your walk with you and will warn you when to "watch out for the pokeys", and you will make it through well.

No comments: