Monday, September 12, 2011

MONSOON SEASON! YIPPEEE (email)





September 12, 2011
Hello!! Guess what? The heat is gone! sort of. It rains at least 4 times a week. and not just any rain...SERIOUS shake the trailer, mud puddles everywhere, lighting and thunder storms. ITS AMAZING! LOOOVVEEE IT!
I mentioned last week that we were doing service. We chopped wood! and I put my heart and soul into it!!! I had a very nice little pile after 2 hours. the elders showed off by blowing giant stumps to smithereens, but I'm content with my pile. We also weeded and weeded and weeded some more. lots of nasty pokey weeds. I hate them. Then there was the terrible yucca plants. Bishop had some giant yucca plants, but you had to risk your life to cut them. they were giant knives, and we all had gouges everywhere. lots of blood and swollen-ness involved.
Otherwise, the week was really plain. service. teaching. knocking doors. being disappointed by investigators not keeping commitments. elation by surprise investigators at sacrament meeting. frustration at 2 baptisms that didn't happen. normal missionary life.
This week was Sis. Ts's birthday. I woke up early and decorated the truck windows, made breakfast, and waffles. A member fed us birthday cake. We celebrated too many times..but I won't complain. Today we are going into Farmington to celebrate. We will go out for lunch, go bowling, and then I'm going to buy her a Ken barbie doll. (Her boyfriend/fiance's name is Ken. I asked her what she wanted, and she said Ken. Well, I'll do what I can.)
There was a surprise. We drove out to Red Valley on Wed like always, came back, stopped in at Amber's and called the Elders to give a blessing. They come over, but Amber sees someone else with Elder Munns through the peep hole. In walks E. Buynak, he and E. Cheney were involved in an emergency transfer. I don't know any of the situation, nor is it my business. I'm really looking forward to working with him. I loved E. Cheney, but I think now there is a different spirit about the work. We are going to actually be missionaries, rather than just people doing missionary work. Good deal. I'm ready to get to work. Things in Shiprock move slow. I want to speed it up.
There are photos of Sharon and Tyre's baptism, the Elders (Buynak on the left, Munns on the right), me and Sis. Tsosie (at the flea market, and just being silly. I think you can tell we love each other.)
Love you lots!!
I hope next week will be a more interesting letter.
Sis. Wilkins

No comments: