Saturday, September 24, 2011

Surprise (email)

September 19, 2011

We had a nasty surprise on Saturday night. We stopped by the Elder's trailer to drop something off, and while we were there, they got transfer news call from the zone leaders. We stood by and listened to the muffled voice. Sis. Tsosie's name was mentioned first...transferred to Gallup, NM. We looked at one another and didn't say a word. We used our eyes to communicate: WWHHHAATTTTT?????? Did he just say that? No. ...yes. This is not real....What do we do? Crud.

She leaves tomorrow morning. We are not happy about it. I seriously felt like we had known each other all our lives. She was such a dear friend, and I hardly knew her. The last 6 weeks have felt like maybe 1 or 2. Her new companion is Sis. Kost (MY MTC COMPANION!). I am going to get Sis. Thomas. We don't know a single thing about her. We'll see what happens, but I already know I need to act quickly to make her comfortable with me and Shiprock. Shiprock is the roughest and dirtiest area for sisters, and it definitely has shocking qualities. Oh, and I get to drive the truck now! Woot! So excited.

This week was normal. Personal Study. Companion study. Lessons with investigators. Knocking on doors. Driving a ton. We had one baptism on Saturday. Seneca Frazier. He is 10, and his family recently moved back to Shiprock and became active. Elder Munns was absolutely tickled to do the baptism (it was his first time performing a living baptism ordinance). And I think I look down-right tan. Yes everyone, it is possible, I am TAN!! Can you believe it? I still look terribly white compared to all the Navajos, but I am chocolate brown compared to my family.


Sis. Tsosie and I drove half way out to Shiprock (the actual rock) this week. We took lots of silly photos, but they are all on her camera. I'll print them out and send them to you. There was a crazy storm brewing as we took photos, and the lighting on Shiprock is stunning. I also wanted to show you this rock formation. Does is look like a man made wall? YES. Is it? Not at all. Shiprock is a volcanic rock formation, and coming out the backside is this 10 mile long wall. It rises probably 6-8 stories out of the ground. In some parts it is only 6 feet thick, but it is never thicker than 10 feet. It is the coolest thing. I think Shiprock looks like a mighty demon fortress rising out of death itself. Then the wall guards the dismal kingdom behind. (I might have a fanciful imagination, but at least I can keep myself entertained.)




I love you all! Talk to you next week!

Love, Sis. Wilkins

1 comment:

Lauren Ruth said...

Seriously, that picture of "the" Shiprock is unbelievable! It doesnt look real!