Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Following Promptings

Monday, October 15, 2012 (email)

Sister Isaacson and I have started to pay really close attention to the mini promptings that we receive. We don't want to ignore a single one of them. We have seen marvelous things happen when we listen. We were on our way to visit the Davis family Monday night...we didn't have an appointment, but we were going to give it a shot. I got a prompting to visit the Behern family and tried to categorize it as a drifted thought, not a prompting. When the mother's name kept repeating over and over in my head, I finally told Sister Isaacson. She said she wasn't feeling anything, so we continued on to the Davis'. When we were almost there, she threw her arm across the car and grabbed me. "We have to go to the Behrens. NOW" I whipped the truck around, and we were there pretty darn quick :) We found the family in a really tight spot, because of their alcoholic dad. We were able to have a tremendously powerful lesson, and got out before the drunk dad came home. Sister Isaacson then had the firm impression to visit the ward mission leader and tell him about it all. We did, and it was an incredible experience. We realized the intensity of the situation for the children. Dad will probably go to jail soon, and if he is drinking around mom, then she will go to jail too, because she's on probation. The ward mission leader was talking to us about what to do with the children if the worst happened. He was just talking about where they would go, and said to us, "Well, if we can, then we will adopt them." He wasn't joking. Totally serious. His wife was on the couch with him, and her head popped up, but then she nodded. THEY TOTALLY MEANT IT!!!! (They have raised 12 children and are grandparents now, with their youngest kids in high school. They should be done. BUT THEY ARE WILLING TO ADOPT a 5, 7, and 11 year old. Wow.) I love the ward mission leader. He is as close to a dad as I can get. I keep telling him that when I come back to visit, I will give him the best hug ever.
Yesterday we had Jennifer come to church, and she LOVED IT!!! (She is the investigator we watched general conference with). She is so ready. She always seems kinda shocked when we present something new, but after we answer her questions, she seems to accept it openly and completely. She wants to be baptized, and we are so excited for her. We want to help her develop a stronger testimony of Joseph Smith before we set a date, but we are really excited for her. After watching conference, she told us that it just felt good and right and true. OH!!! That is exactly what we love to hear.

Also, for the last few weeks, every time there is an option to sing a hymn, #243 Let Us All Press On, has been on the agenda. EVERY TIME!!! At first Sister Isaacson and I were laughing about its occurrence. Then we tried to really learn the alto part, which was hard, but then this last time I realized someone was trying to send me a message. OK!! I GET THE PICTURE!!!!! So I started studying the words and the scripture references, and it hasn't popped up since. 

Sister Isaacson told me something cool the other day. She said when she was at BYU-Idaho, her professor had to go to Salt Lake to be on a committee. When he came back he told everyone that the church was planning on changing the scripture mastery...WHICH NEVER HAPPENS and it was going to correlate with Preach My Gospel more. Well, now she knows why. The brethren are trying to prepare the youth better and earlier for missionary service. COOL!!!! 

I am out of time, but I love you all very much!

Have a fantastic week!

Love, 
Sister Wilkins

No comments: