Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday, October 1, 2012 (email)


I get to stay!!!! WOOOOOTTTTT!!!! We are so excited!!! Words cannot describe how happy we are! And big news, Sister Patrick and Sister Nay are going to be companions....I'm kinda anxious to see how that all turns out. I think it has the potential to be extremely helpful for both of them. ...

Last week I forgot to tell you about HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOWS!!!!!!! (I think) YOU NEED TO TRY THEM!!! EVERY ONE OF YOU!!!! I am not normally one for marshmallows, but these were to die for!! They were so fresh and spongy and perfect!!! Just look it up!!!

More heartbreak and things that I forgot to tell you: We had a fantastic lesson with Wood Begay last week (he is the dad of one of our favorite families). He and the mom, Barbara hadn't gotten married in the last 12 years, because he was an alcoholic and was terrible when drunk. She wanted her family together, but not when he was terrible. For the last 2 months, since we had been meeting with them, he had totally changed his life around and had sobered up. But then on Friday night he started drinking again. He fessed up to us, and we had an incredible lesson on the Atonement and repentance. He was so open and vulnerable, and the spirit was there so strong. He opened up about all of the miserable and terrible things that had happened to him, that led him to drink. The poor guy has never had anyone ever believe in him, and so he doesn't think he is worth anything. He has been belittled and put down for so long, that he thinks he is destined to be unhappy, in jail, and to die young. I had a completely new understanding of the Atonement after talking to him. I wanted to take away all his pain. All of it. I was willing to suffer, so he didn't have to. But then I also knew that even if I did suffer, he would still have to do something about it all to make it applicable. It was so cool to have first hand experience of the tiniest bit of what Christ felt.

Then we also had a FANTASTIC Tuesday, because we set a Baptismal Date with Melanie James, Dorothy Pinto's granddaughter who is living with them. We were so excited, and so was she....BUT....then we found out that Melanie is on Probation, which means that she can't be baptized yet...for another YEAR!!!! AHHHH!! :( Ooohhhhh....we still have to tell her, and I'm not looking forward to it! Ah. pray for us!

I included a photo of Sister Isaacson and I from last week with our matching shirts. We thought we were soooo stinkin' cute!


Then there is a photo of the awesome sky we have here! I think you should all be jealous!






And a photo of me holding a dead dragon fly. I LOVE dragon flies, but it was really creepy looking dead. I was really proud of myself for touching it.


Finally, there is a picture of a quote from an old pioneer journal. We found it when we went to the Family History Library with Dorothy... It was a book on the saints who settled the Ramah area...and for all of you non-Wilkins readers, Ramah is where my pioneer ancestors settled. The quote cracked me up as well as inspired me from their courage and determination.




Yesterday we had a TOTALLY FANTASTIC SACRAMENT MEETING!! Why? Because we had 2 less active families that we work with come. Neither have come in 10 years, and they were both there on the same day!!! Hal and Connie Richman came, and we see them EVERY WEEK. Hal is always the talkative one, and Connie would just deal with us being there. Then Connie started to open up...and yesterday when Hal and Connie were there, we expected Hall to be much more excited...NOPE!! It was CONNIE!!! She was beaming from head to toe! And smiling like there is no tomorrow! Then Oscar Keeling came, and he has been a toughie! because he was offended by a past bishop. He just showed up, without us ever really pushing him! AWESOME!! Everyone just took him under their wings and took him everywhere. He was grinning and jolly and fantastic! Oh yay!!!!

I hope you have a terrific week!!!

Love you lots!

Love, Sister Wilkins

No comments: