Monday, October 8, 2012

:) HIGH PITCHED SCREAM!!!!!!! :)

Monday, October 8, 2012 (email)

SOOOOOO!!!!!!! HHHOOOORRRAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Sisters can serve at 19!!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!! We were FREAKING OUT!!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!!! I'm sure the internet and singles wards are all abuzz. At first I thought, "Oh man, this is going to get tricky! Sisters and Elders the same age!!! Ohhhh, bad plan...." But then I started to mellow out and think...This is the best thing that could happen for the future families of the church! Let me explain. Now there are going to be soooo many more sister missionaries, which will not only result in more converts, but the women of the church will become stronger in general. The girls who always wanted to serve, but got married instead...will almost be a thing of the past. I am just thinking out loud, and I'm not talking for everyone, but how many girls are truly prepared to be married at 19? Not many. I certainly wasn't. Serving a mission has been the greatest thing to happen to my life and my spiritual/emotional maturity. I feel so much better prepared to handle life and my future as a mother because I did get to serve a mission. There are a lot of really incredible women, who did not need to serve missions, because they were incredible already. I was not one of those really mature and incredible women, so I needed to serve to refine me. ...My thoughts are all over the place, and I don't want my inability to articulate them to get me in trouble, so I will just stop there. My final words: I am glad that more sisters will get the opportunity to serve.
And because I am a missionary, I obviously LOVED Elder Nelson's talk. I thought it was GREAT! We had an investigator by our side, and she kept looking over in shock as he listed all the things we do. "Do you really do all of that?" YUP!!! Every day! And we love it!!! 

We tried to be really tricky with our conference plans this weekend, and it TOTALLY WORKED OUT!!! We have been planning extensively for weeks about who our investigators and less active families would watch conference with (plus the when's and where's). It was great! So many of them got to experience the blessing on conference, and we were able to be involved with their experience. 

Saturday morning we went to Jennifer McDonald's to watch it. She is our investigator who loves to read the Book of Mormon. She had gone out of town and hadn't been able to meet with us to preface the conference. She didn't know what she was getting herself into and what to expect...and she was quite nervous. But when we walked in the door, she had 3 platters of snacks out and was ready to go. She LOVED THE SESSION!! She thought it was fantastic! She enjoyed it so much, she invited us to come back Sunday Morning as well. (Big bummer, solar flares stopped the satellite feed, so we missed the first half of Dieter's talk!)

Saturday Afternoon, we went to watch it will Hal Richman and his family. He is the less active guy we have been working with forEVER who finally came last week. He and his wife were TOTALLY GLUED to the TV, and thought it was fantastic! We had such a terrific discussion afterwords. 

Sunday morning, we walked in Jennifer's door, and she had gotten all dressed up in a skirt and was wearing all kinds of makeup and jewelry..which is a big deal because she is a farm girl/tom-boy type. She had the snacks out again, and had prepared questions for her life and had a notebook and everything! Again we had the first half of the last speaker's talk, Monson, cut off, (but that was okay.) We discussed afterwards and she talked about how inspired she was to change. At first she didn't want to give up anything, but she recognized that her heart was softened, and she felt the task was doable, one step at a time. Oh yay!!!!.....Oh and HOLLAND IS MY HERO!!!!! I LOVED HIS TALK!! (big surprise)

Sunday Afternoon we went to the Stake Center to meet all the people who had promised to come to that session. We had a pretty good turn out. And it was just good. :)

This week we learned how to crochet...at least the beginner stuff. We are going to a part member family's home to have the non member mom teach us today. We are really excited.

There was a crazy thing that happened this thursday! Okay, it was probably pretty normal, but to me it was a big deal. We pulled into home, and Sister Isaacson opened her car door to have smoke come in. She flipped, "Get out of the car! Get out of the car!" So then I flipped "Get your stuff! Get your stuff! And then call Elder James." Since my mind is crazy anyways, I think we are getting close to an explosion or something. Sister Isaacson cracks me up, because when she calls the vehicle coordinator, she takes the time to say: "I have a story to tell you. Once upon a time there were two sister missionaries....there was smoke, and they didn't know what to do....the end!" WHAHH??? There is SMOKE BILLOWING out of the engine, and fluid gushing from the underbelly, and you are telling a story?!?!?!?! He instructed her to open the hood and figure it out...and I;m thinking, "Are you CRAZY!?!?!?! Smoke means flames! Flames mean Fire. You DONT OPEN THE HOOD!!! CAUSE THAT MEANS A BIGGER FIRE....which means BOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!! (explosion)" but, I listened to my instructions and risked losing my eyebrows, arm-hair, and life, by opening the hood. ....Nothing as dramatic as I expected happened. :) ....The radiator hose popped off and fluid went EVERYWHERE. So, now we have a loaner truck while that one is getting fixed.

On Tuesday we had a first ever sisters only conference. I sent a picture of all our shoes at the mission home...I thought it was cool. It was great, I had a lot of my personal struggles addressed, and I felt so uplifted. At the conference, my rug that I had custom made out in Toadalina was delivered to me! LOVE IT!!!! That thing is worth $300-$400, and I got it for $150. WOW. LOVE IT!!


Hope you all have a fantastic week!

Love you
Sister Wilkins

No comments: