Monday, October 22, 2012

me and my chitty

Monday, October 22, 2012 (email)

Hello Family and Friends!!
 
Sister Isaacson and I discovered something terribly scary this week: She has been out as long as I have left. AAHHHH!!!!!! WHAT THE HECK!!!?????!!!!!??? That is not a fun thing to think about. This is my life. This is what I love doing! This is not supposed to end! When I have to go home, I have to do hard things! I have to start thinking about me! I have to date again! I have to look for eternal blessings....holy crap that is scary business!!! UGH. "Not happy Bob. Not happy." (Name that movie.......Incredibles)
 
We had a member of the 70, Paul V. Johnson, come and to a Zone Conference on Tuesday, and it was AWESOME!!! He had some exciting news. He started asking us what we thought would happen to our mission directly because of the age change....
"More Missionaries?"
"Yup. You need to be opening new area president....But what about the MTC? What do you think will happen there?"
"Will they build more?"
"No. That is not in the plans. What else could happen?"
"The missionaries will stay less time?"
"You hit it there. Starting January 2012, Missionaries will only stay at the MTC for 2 weeks." 
A hush and then a buzz went across the room. We all knew what that meant....Training in the field would be more intense and more critical. Then we started discussing the 12 week training program that was introduced to the world wide mission force the week I entered the field. It was a preparatory step the Lord put in place to make sure that the current missionaries could be ready to train the newer and younger missionaries. It is  so cool to see how the Lord is hastening His work, and how everything comes together. SOOOO COOOOOLLL!!!!!
 
I sent a blurry photo of me and Sister Isaacson in "surgery mode". We went to visit Hal Richman this week, but he had gone to the hospital. His blood pressure was 40 over 30!!! I'm not trained in the medical world, but I know that is pretty bad. His wife asked us to visit him in the hospital, but to go inside, we had to put on the smocks and gloves. The photo is blurry because Hal took it........and we tried twice, but both came out like this.....but you get the picture.
 
 
 
I also sent a photo of me and Sister Isaacson, just playing around with the camera this morning....but then I also sent one of the two of us with pink fuzzy mustaches. THANK YOU ASHLEE BARROW!!! She knows me sooo well...so we had a photo shoot this morning. 
 
 
The last photo is probably of no consequence for any of you, but for me it was big. I was driving the car in Shiprock when it hit 20,000 miles. When that happened, I drove around in a parking lot in circles, because there were no other cars and I knew I could stare at the odometer and never lift my eyes to pay attention to other things (I didn't want to miss the change)....Well, This week I was driving and I watched it change to 30,000 miles. WAHOO!! I know you don't care, but I have a really close relationship with that truck. 9 Months is a LONG time with a mission vehicle. For the longest time, I debated contacting the mission after I had been home, so I could purchase it and just keep it after it hit the 50,000 mile mission limit......BUT....after what happened this week, I changed my mind. I have had a handful of problems with that beloved truck, but this week I finally hit the limit. It wouldn't start. It was late. We were trying to get home for curfew, and it wouldn't turn over. Not fun. I love Larry (that's what I named him) but I won't purchase him now. I don't want to deal with any more problems. 



But I did have a neat experience yesterday at church, that connects with the truck. We were there early, and there was a woman sitting in the back with her children long before the meeting started. Something in me registered her face, but I didn't know why. Sister Isaacson and I went up to talk to her, and it was the first time she had been to church in 15 years. Well, its not that I had seen her there. She lived on the edge of Farmington. Nope...that's outside our ward boundaries. She is a police officer...DING DING DING DING!!!!!! Then my mind flashed a dozen images. I could see her in her officer's uniform. Then I saw her put her hand on her holster. In that memory I realized she was standing in a lit room. Wait, it was the Shiprock Trailer living room. SHE WAS THE POLICE OFFICER WHO TOOK THE REPORT ON OUR STOLEN TRUCK LAST DECEMBER!!!!!!! I got all sorts of excited, and then word vomited it all at her. (Ashlee, do you remember when we went to the dollar theater, and I couldn't figure out who the ticket guy was..but then realized he was the coordinator at the baptistery in Provo.....it felt like that)
 
Sunday was a big day. We got a call LATE Saturday night asking us to speak in the morning. Ok, fine, but only because we love you. We were going to speak on temples....Life got crazy though when almost EVERYONE we work with was at church!!! Then the mission president and his wife walked in, and everything had a whole new level of importance. We had investigators and less actives coming out the wazoo. It felt really good to have them all there, but it made me slightly frazzled.
 
We have been meeting with Oscar Keeling, and his wife Bonnie for a long time. He is less active because he got mad at a bishop 15 years ago. His wife is not a member. He is just a sweet old grandpa. He came yesterday and was telling some ward members that he was there just because of the sweet sister missionaries. He kept saying how much we had convinced him...I cut him off: "Excuse me! We were just in the right place at the right time! You talked yourself into coming. I never mentioned anything. All I do is smile!" He responded, "Oh, but a girl as cute and sweet as you could smile and make the whole world do whatever you want." OH!!!! So cute!!!! Thanks Brother Keeling.
 
Brother Keeling and his wife are teaching us how to crochet...and we are getting pretty good. We had dinner with them on Saturday night, and we were about to leave, and they said, "We think you girls deserve a gift for all of your hard work." WHAT? Then they pulled out 2 large bags of crochet supplies. They had tons of yarn and goodies. It was soooo sweet of them. But now we have to figure out what to do with all of it! Its not like we can cart it all around! Oye. We will figure it out.
 
Well, I love you!!!! I miss you!! Have a wonderful week!
 
Love,
Sister Wilkins

No comments: