Monday, January 7, 2013

ka pow! punch! bang!

January 7, 2013 (email)

Why such an active subject line? Because I interact with people who do that for a living.
 
There is a man, Brother Ford, in one of our wards who is a professional MMA fighter. He does the BIG televized fights. He could kill me in about 2 seconds if he wanted to. He owns a gym in Blanding, where he trains people how to fight, and he is a personal trainer. He invited the Elders to come and work out with him in the mornings years ago. He is a convert and likes to have the missionary spirit nearby. When we came into town, he invited us to join too....and we did....and we wanted to die the first day. OYE! It was sooo intense. But then we got the hang of it, and we are really enjoying ourselves. We don't do any fighting or anything like that, he just works our tooshes. He has us lift weights, but in a way I have never done before. I have always focused on toning, but he does power lifting. We do 3 sets of 5...with CRAZY HEAVY WEIGHTS!! He had us dead lift 130 pounds!!! Here I am, tiny little me, picking up more than what I weigh! HOLY FREAKING COW!!!! Brother Ford has a big, televized, national title fight on Feb. 9 in Salt Lake. WOAH!
 
This week was SOOO busy. Our New Years was bland...for Blanding. :) We painted our toes, popped a single popper at 10 pm with New York City, and went to bed. Woot.
 
We had a meeting in Cortez this week, and I had a really odd experience. As we drove into town, and all of the familiar scenes came into view, I started to stress out. A nasty wave of anxiety and fear came over me. All of the anxiousness and ugly feelings from my abusive companionship there came flooding back. NOT FUN. All I wanted to do was turn the car around and leave town. I felt better once our meeting got going, but it was not an enjoyable experience driving around town. I don't care to go back there any time soon.  The best moment of the day was when the Zone Leaders announced in front of everyone, that President had told them that I was the best missionary in the Farmington mission at organizing and keeping the area books up to date. The best? I thought they were exaggerating. Nope. Pres says I am better than the assistants. SWEET!!! That's kinda cool. At least I did something right.
 
This week we are planning a baptism for Aaron Tree. He has investigated the Church many times, and this time seems ready to go. His mom is a reactivating member, and his older brother is also investigating. Aaron is 14, and really prepared. We love working with him. Please pray that everything goes well.
 
I do have some bad news. My parents' bishopric didn't check the stake schedule before planning my talk, so my talk has been moved back a week. I will be speaking on February 17, at 1pm instead. I'm sorry for the confusion. I hope you all have a fantastic week!
 
All my love,
Sister Wilkins
 
Photos:
Random wooly mammoth made of twigs in Bluff, UT
This is my awesome pioneer church I go to for 3 different sacrament meetings
 

 

No comments: