Monday, January 21, 2013

You Got Served

Monday, January 21, 2013 (email)

I got a terrible letter in the mail this week....it was my flight information. NOT OK. You know the phrase relating to being handed divorce papers, "You got served".....well, that's how it felt. Not fun. But I learned that Heavenly Father wants to help me reach one of my goals. I want to place a Book of Mormon on the way home. At first I looked at it like the last thing to check off my missionary to do list: place a Book of Mormon in a crowd of people. But then I realized it is more special than that. I have one last chance to help change someone's life before I don't have the privilege of wearing the black name tag any more. I have been praying that someone's heart be prepared that will fly with me on the 6th, and that I be courageous enough to find them and talk to them.
Yesterday we gave talks and sang in church. We spoke in one of the Elder's wards (not sure why) and the Elders sat front and center to "show their support"...aka to bug us. They were critiquing us....they said I should have looked more nervous, because I was too comfortable and confident and collected up there. Not a bad critique. :) Then we sang....which was an experience. We knew that we were OK at it, but not great. we were both praying for angels to be there with us, because we knew we didn't sound as angelic as we wanted. The Elders came to that one too, and this time they gave compliments. "It sounded incredible. I couldn't believe that it was only the 2 of you. It really sounded like there were more voices."...and I just thought to myself, that's because there were more voices. I love knowing that there was heavenly help with us.

We had 2 day exchanges with a set of traveling sisters this week. These 2 sisters were originally each in trio's, and have been made companions for the last 3 weeks of the transfer. They drive to each sister area and go on splits/exchanges for 2 days. It was a crazy experience, because we got sooooo much work done. We were feeling swamped before because we didn't have time to meet all of the referrals that we had been given...and then after the exchanges we had met so many new people that we were swamped with all of the people to teach. It feels great to have sooooo much to do, but we are really struggling to learn how to manage our time and pick what is the most important thing. 

When I got to Shiprock a year and a half ago, I discovered a world of Native fabric. There are really expensive blankets, known as Pendleton Blankets, that are everywhere on the reservation. They are heavy wool blankets with intricate patterns and intense colors. I have wanted one since week one of my mission. But they are ridiculously expensive. I have never bought one, and told myself that someday, way in the future, I would come back and buy one. Well, I don't have to anymore. There is a family that we absolutely adore here in Blanding, the Keith's. They are native and working on getting to the temple. We have been helping the grandmother to catch the fire and bring her family along as she prepares for the temple. She is thriving with us (in comparison to when she was slightly overlooked when the Elders worked with her family). We were talking about the beauties of the reservation, and that Sister Maynez is missing out. We started talking about Pendleton blankets. Adella ran in the back and got one to show Sister Maynez, and then turned to me and said, "You can have this one." I tried to turn her down, but it was no use. Her husband said, "You really treasured your experience on the reservation, and we can tell that you are a great missionary. You deserve it." I was stunned. I jumped up and threw my arms around Adella. I wanted to hug her husband too, but I refrained.

There is a ward mission leader who is trying to marry me off to a kid from Blanding. He wants me to stay here because he thinks I will be good for the area, as a wife and ward member. Oye. He is pitching this kid hard, and it really isn't doing him any good :) I have no intention of marrying anyone from Blanding. Sorry. I love the area, but no. The missionaries here are now taking bets on how quickly I will be engaged when I get home. Ugh. It just makes me blush and feel silly.

I love you all!

Happy Monday!
Love, Sister Wilkins

No comments: