Monday, January 14, 2013

Miracles in Blanding

Monday, January 14, 2013 (email)


Your prayers were heard! Aaron got baptized! It almost didn't happen...we saw him Wednesday at 5, just to pop in and give him some paperwork...and he was really excited for his baptism. By 8pm that night, he was a totally different person. Something was really wrong, and we couldn't figure it out. We did our best and started praying. Thursday night was his interview, and he came with a big smile (Aaron never shows emotion) He passed his interview with flying colors. Afterwards we talked to the district leader and his mom. The district leader said that when Aaron walked in the room, the elder knew he didn't even have to interview the kid: spirit to spirit he knew Aaron was ready. But the interview happened anyways and Aaron did great. His mom enlightened us about Wednesday night. His doubts started to go crazy during our final lesson. As soon as it was over, he stormed out of the house and went for a walk. He didn't even get a block before he had to stop and pray. It was a powerful moment for him, and he got his answer very clearly that he should move forward with the baptism...and he hasn't looked back since. He has been meeting with missionaries for 2 years...that's a lot of sets of missionaries. And we just happened to be the lucky ones there. I included a picture of Aaron's big day.


I also put a picture of Sister Maynez and I outside the Monticello Temple. We have district meeting every other week in Monticello, and we are 2 minutes from the temple, so I ran her over there and we looked at it for a minute...well, it only takes a minute because it is sooooo small. :)



So, last Monday we drove with our district to Farmington for a zone conference, but we took the slightly longer way by going through Teec Nos Pos, AZ instead of closer to Cortez, CO. We stopped at 4 Corners monument. IT really isn't that exciting at this point. I've been there 4 times with 3 different sets of people, and there are less vendors set up each time. At least I didn't spend a ton of money...all I did was buy late Christmas gifts for Sister Isaacson and Sister Patrick. We had to race from Teec Nos Pos back to Farmington, because we needed to get the car washed before the best car wash in town closed for the night. I LOVE Octopus Car Wash...it is my ALL TIME FAVORITE car wash!!!! Well, the racing paid off, because after a year of trying, I FINALLY WON THE VEHICLE INSPECTIONS COMPETITION!!!!! I have tried to win every zone conference, but never could because the Shiprock truck was soooo beat up that it never had a chance. Well, this time  I was driving a brand new jeep, and no one else stood a chance!! We got a trophy and everything!!! WAHOO!!


Zone conference was actually a Tri-Zone Conference. It was not fun to look around and realized that I was the "oldest missionary" in the entire chapel. It was terrible. I didn't like that feeling of knowing that my mission was most definitely coming to an end. The last zone conference before you go home, they have you give a farewell testimony to everyone else. NOT FUN. I was dreading it the whole time. As a new missionary, I would look at those behind the podium and wonder if I was ever going to learn as much as them and be as confident and sure as them. When I was out for 6 months I hoped that the podium would come faster. At 12 months I realized that it wasn't too far away. And this week I actually had to stand at it. My main goal was to have my remarks touch someone's heart. They didn't need to be fancy, they just had to be exactly what someone needed. Afterwords, I had multiple people come up and tell me that my testimony was one of the most powerful testimonies they have heard in a long time (one sister even said it was the best she had ever heard) WOAH!!!!! That made me feel good...:)

A miracle from the trip was Monday night. We went to dinner, and then met up with the Farmington 4th Sisters to teach until bed. What family did we go see? The Behrens!!!! They didn't know we were coming. We got there before the other sisters, so I knocked on the door, and Aviana opened it. She recognized sisters, and invited us in, but didn't realize which sisters were at her door. "Aviana, its Sister Wilkins"...she cocked her head, and looked at me funny and then threw herself out the door and landed on me. She started sobbing and all the other kids came running out for a giant group hug. Barbie eventually came out and saw me standing there, and pulled all of her children off of me, so that she could wrap her tiny arms around me. She cried harder than Aviana. I found out that Aviana had been having dreams for a week that I would come back, and then Barbie told me that she had been praying that I come back. Oh, it made me feel so good to know that I had touched someone's life and help them feel loved. Elijah will turn 8 in March, and they want me to come back for his baptism. I didn't make any promises, but I sure will do everything in my power to make it happen! Oh, I love that family.

Yesterday we spoke in 2 sacrament meetings...again. And next week we are speaking in one of the elder's wards (why don't they ever ask them?!?!?) and singing in one of our wards. Oye. We are going to sing a duet. Faith in Every  Footstep. We are doing parts, and we are crossing back and forth over each other. It is kinda hard....OK, its downright tough, but we are excited about it.

Oh, and one of my ward mission leaders is trying really hard to set me up with my future husband. He is trying to be all kinds of sneaky and meddle with everything. Oye. I just smile and nod.

Well, that is my life! Love you,
Sister Wilkins

P.S. If any of you did not hear, my non-homecoming talk is now on February 17 at 1pm at my parent's ward building, the Provo UT Stake Center: 1315 East 900 South PROVO, UTAH 84606

No comments: