Sunday, May 26, 2013

Diddy #4: What Love IS

One of my family's favorite movies is Yours, Mine, and Ours (the 1968 version). It is an extremely entertaining movie about blending 2 VERY large families, and the lessons learned by having so many children under one slightly leaky roof.

I think of quotes from that movie often, and its quite sad that more people don't know what I am referencing when I use them. Yesterday and today I have been thinking about what proves you love someone. How do you show it? How do you know what's real and what's silly? How do you know what's worth fighting for?

This scene from Yours, Mine, and Ours popped into my head. The oldest daughter picks a particullary busy, but perfect time to ask her stepfather about what true love is. I LOVE his answer.


"It isn't going to bed with a man that proves you are in love with him...its getting up in the morning and facing the drab, miserable, wonderful, everyday world with him that counts."

I want to face the drab, miserable, wonderful everyday world side by side with my best friend... I may look slightly scary in the morning...I may forget to push the start button on the dishwasher...I may bake crusted edges and mushy center brownies...but I want to walk through that life together.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Great movie, great quote!