Friday, May 31, 2013

Lifting Weights: Barbells and Trials

I have been reading "Believing Christ" for a while now. With my busy schedule, I get in a few pages here, and a few pages there. I had intended to fly through it, but with every moment of time budgeted, its incredible I have gotten this far.

Today I read something that totally clicked. It spoke directly to me, because 1) I have trained in a gym before, and 2) I am at the edge of my abilities. It all makes sense...

To quote Stephen E. Robinson:
"When I was in high school, I used to work out in the weight room....After doing all the repetitions with the barbell that I was able to, being on the brink of collapse, I would say to the spotter, "take it!" but the spotter would always say, "no, do one more!" Usually reaching way down deep I could in fact manage one more rep, after which I would say, "ok, take it!" again the spotter would rely, "no, do one more." No matter how many times I did just one more, the spotter would always reply,"just one more." This would continue until my muscles actually gave out, and then the spotter would grab the bar.

"...In a gym, both spotters and the lifters understand that the real power is gained on the last repetition, on the thin edge between what one can do and what one can't. By coaxing me into working at the limits of my abilities, the spotter helped me develop the power I was seeking.

"...One purpose of the Church is to perfect the Saints. Since we make the most progress by working at the limits of our abilities, then no matter how much we do or how well we do it, the Lord...will always ask for more, will always seek improvement, will always push us toward perfection."

Oooh. Its ok to struggle and say "help" but then realize the help is just an encouraging word while you try not to cry because what you are doing is so hard. Its actually the plan to push and push and push, even when you don't have anything left...because most of the time, you have at least something left. And when you hit that point where you can't lift the bar any higher, your muscles are shaking, your breath is almost gone, and nothing seems to do what your heart wants it to do - that's when your spotter steps in and takes the weight.

In that instant, you are thankful that the bar is out of your hands...but then the frustration comes: "HOW COME YOU DIDN'T TAKE IT SOONER?!?!?" And your spotter just smiles back, "But you did it."

Click. You did it. wow. I didn't realize I could do that much....And then the next day you are able to push yourself just a little bit more...and you are stronger then before.

Stronger.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This was beautiful. You have no idea how badly I needed this in my life. Thank you.

Bender said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brianna Jean said...

So I totally commented under my husband;s account first! Awkward!

This was a fantastic and such a good way of looking at those times in our lives where we where we think we just can't hold on any longer. It's funny that we don't remember those moments until we are in them again and are asking God, "Why me?" "Why do I have to try so hard".
With this story in mind, I think it is because we have gotten lazy in the working of our faith, our muscles of haven't gotten tired and unused.
I don't think God wants us to suffer, but perfection never came from staying stagnant.

First time reader: I like your blog!