Friday, September 27, 2013

Grace

Every once and a while, you read a talk or hear a statement that changes your life. I experienced one this morning. I was reading in the September Ensign, and came across a talk by Brad Wilcox: entitled His Grace is Sufficient.

I have studied grace multiple times, but nothing as ever hit me so profoundly. Nothing has ever been explained this simple. And I want to share it with you.

"A young woman once came to me and asked if we could talk. I said, “Of course. How can I help you?”

She said, “I just don’t get grace.”

I responded, “What is it that you don’t understand?”

She said, “I know I need to do my best, and then Jesus does the rest, but I can’t even do my best.”

I said, “The truth is, Jesus paid our debt in full. He didn’t pay it all except for a few coins. He paid it all. It is finished.”

She said, “Right! Like I don’t have to do anything?”

“Oh, no,” I said, “you have plenty to do, but it is not to pay that debt. We will all be resurrected. We will all go back to God’s presence to be judged. What is left to be determined by our obedience is how comfortable we plan to be in God’s presence and what degree of glory we plan on receiving.”

DING! Right there. Did you hear that? The key to actions in this life and why we are asked to work and to change and to repent and to be the best we possibly can (or want to be), is all for that moment when we stand in front of Heavenly Father.

Why did I never see the simplicity and beauty of this before?

Please read the article.

No comments: