Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Picky Eater

Katherine is growing a garden. It is the pride of her life. At the moment, all it does is pop out tomatoes.

Problem: non of us like tomatoes

Well, I'm 20, that makes me a big kid. I can eat tomatoes. I've probably grown out of that phase.

So, I popped in half a cherry tomato.
Small. Tiny. Hardly anything there.

I don't even have to chew.

NOPE!! I hate this.
must spit it out.
now!!
no, be nice, chew it

At this point my face is all scruntched up, and my taste buds are screaming at me.

keep chewing, it will be over soon.
chew. chew. chew. chew....

its not going down!!!
I forced myself to swallow.

I'm not eating any more tomatoes any time soon.

1 comment:

Montana Wilkins said...

So here's what this post made me think about:
Samantha has always had a hard time with food. The sight and textures turn her off of most things and have since we fed her baby food. Seriously. So her occupational therapist gave us this "Steps for Successful Eating" list. She wrote it on piece of construction paper for Samantha. I'm sure it will help you get down the over-abundance of tomatoes you're dealing with. (Ha ha ha)

1. Touch the food with your fork.
2. Touch it with your finger.
3. Smell it.
4. Kiss it.
5. Lick it.
6. Say "cheers!" with your friend next to you who is also eating this food. (Tap the food together, or at least close since you did just kiss and lick it.) (Becky loves to do this part with noodles that always fall on the floor. Sigh...)
7. CHOMP IT!!!!

Ta-da! You can do it because you're a big girl! ;o)

Also, one of the funniest things I ever saw was my Japanese roommate Kanako's face when we got her to try a cherry tomato at the cafeteria one day. She chewed a couple times and dramatically spit it into a napkin. Now this is a girl who loves raw fish, which makes no sense to me, but she couldn't get the tomato down! (Truthfully, cherry tomatoes are my least favorite. Romas are good and grape tomatoes are way tastier and smaller than cherry tomatoes. If you ever decide to try tomatoes again, that is...)
End of my long post!