Sunday, May 25, 2014

Scabby

I rarely think of funny stories to write about on here...but then I email my missionary buddies, and these stories just come out. Here is an excerpt from today's letter:

"The biggest thing from the week happened Tuesday night. My sister (age 22) was being dramatic. Most of my family's good stories start with someone being ridiculously dramatic. She has had a hard time living at home without the big social life she had while living in an apartment. ...So when she was bored out of her mind Tuesday night, she flopped herself literally across my lap and whined: "I'm sooooo BBBBBOOOORRRRRREEEDDDDD!!!!" (Envision a full grown adult flopped across my lap, with her arm to her forehead, looking as devastated as possible)

She continued: "PLLLLLLLLLLLEASE come play with me!"

I giggled and told her I couldn't because I had homework to do. She moaned and rolled away. I didn't know she had left the house until I heard a large commotion 30 minutes later.

I came to the kitchen to see her at the kitchen sink, half crying/half laughing, with my dad "dabbing" her face while she sputtered. As I got closer, I realized her face was covered in blood and dirt. She had gone on a bike ride with a close guy friend. She was flying down a SUPER steep hill, hit a patch of dirt, and then decided her face belonged licking the ground instead of up in the air. ;) She broker her fall with her face, and the length of her arm.

Poor thing. She felt so silly. Besides being wounded and a mess, her pride totally ate the dust. (did you like the pun?)

Her chin, upper lip, nose, and forehead were pulverized. Poor scabby thing was even performing in a play thursday-saturday. Her oozy scabs have been the talk of the town (ok.... just the ONLY topic of family discussion, not the town....well, except for all of the customers she serves at work, and all the people at church)

Don't worry, something really good came from this.
We all tried to just clean her up, and get her to bed. When I said my prayers, I realized how thankful I was that she was ok. She hit her head pretty hard, and couldn't remember the event. she was totally disoriented and repeated herself constantly. I tried to be tough, but I turned into a giant boob and tried not to become a crying mess. I really was thankful that she was ok. I crawled into her bed and curled up next to her. We were able to be boobs together. I didn't realize how deeply I cared for her until I saw her be hurt. It was a good moment for us to draw close together."